A Fall Mantel for the Family Room

    While we're enjoying all the wonderful "before and afters" from yesterday's Met Monday, I thought I'd share another little metamorphosis I've been working on this week in my family room.




    BEFORE:

    The coffee table looks so bare now since I "stole" all the books for the office library. lol



    This is how the mantel looks year round.  It's decorated simply with a mantel clock, Staffordshire doggies and a few books.



    Time to add a touch of fall.


    (This post is linked to The Lettered Cottage's Fall Mantel Party HERE.)

    The first change I made to the fireplace was a change in the firescreen. I love bringing out this screen with a fall scene of Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal against the bark of a birch tree. I've had both firescreens for many years.  Fortunately, I didn't have to purchase anything new to decorate my mantel for fall...just used things I already had here in the family room.



    Before:



    After:  The spring basket is no longer hanging on the door to the porch.  This pic was taken back during the summer when I was contemplating a post about firescreens.  Still may do one on firescreens one of these days. lol



    Since fall is such a great time to curl up with a good book in front of the fireplace, I decided to expand on the book idea for this fall mantel.  At first I placed the pheasants I used in THIS table setting, on the mantel...but their fall color just sort of blended into the wreath, making them hard to see.  Can you see them there under the wreath?



    I swapped the pheasants for Mr. Duck.  This pic was taken with the lamps off.



    This one was taken with the lamps on.  Come a bit closer for a better look.



    I hung a fall wreath I've had for many years above the mantel.  I love layering a wreath atop a mirror.  I've done this in my Dining Room, HERE and again in the family room for Christmas, HERE.



    A few close-ups...



    The book that's open is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.



    This picture in the book worked well with the colors in this fall mantel.  :)



    I know polished brass isn't all the rage anymore, but then I'm not one to follow the rage. lol  Still love and use the Baldwin brass candlesticks I collected 25+ years ago.





    Mr. Duck...he's made an appearance before in THIS Thanksgiving table setting.



    The other end of the mantel...  The pumpkins I used for my fall mantel were previously used in this fall tablescape.









    Have you started  decorating for fall, yet?  I love the warm, rich colors of the season.  Happy Fall, y'all!


    (For a tour of the family room, click HERE.)

    For a little inspiration for decorating a mantel for Christmas, click HERE and HERE.

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews