Cottage In the Movie, It's Complicated

    Seventy-eight beautiful tablescapes were posted for yesterday's Tablescape Thursday!  Wow!  Be sure to check them all out...so much beauty and inspiration in one happy day around the Blogosphere!

    Little Announcement: Non-Holiday Tablescapes are now grouped by season/event.

    Last night, I worked into the wee hours sorting and grouping the "non-holiday" tablescapes under the Tablescapes♦NapkinFolds♦Recipes category header here at BNOTP.   The "Holiday" tablescapes were already sorted and grouped according to the holiday.  I had been putting off dividing out all the "non-holiday" tablescapes into categories since I wasn't quite sure how I was going to organize them...and there were A LOT of them.

    If you have a sec, make a girl happy and click on the Tablescapes♦NapkinFolds♦Recipes header category at the top of this blog and check out my "wee hours of the night" work. :)  There's a little bit of overlap with a few of the categories.  For example a "Floral" tablescape may also have a "Nature" theme or a "Romantic" feel, so it may be found in all three categories.  Surprisingly, I didn't have that much overlap.  I think by placing them in the different categories, you'll be able to more quickly find a past tablescape...at least, that's the plan. :)

    Even though this system isn't perfect, I think it's a whole lot better than one big pile of tablescapes grouped under a "non-holiday" heading.  If you see one you would like to refer back to later, now you'll just need to remember what category it was in, instead of having to dig through a huge group.

    The "Holiday" tablescapes are still located toward the bottom, as before.  There can also be found under the category heading "Holiday Decorating" at the top of this blog.


    Lauren and Harley's Cottage Home in the movie, It's Complicated
    A few weeks ago, I took you on a tour of the house/set featured in the Nancy Meyer's movie, It's Complicated, starring Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin.  (If you missed that tour, you'll find it HERE, or just click on the category header, Movie House Tours.)

    We all pretty much fell in love with Jane's home in the movie, but there was a second home that also caught my eye when I watched this funny movie.  During the course of the movie, Jane (Meryl Streep) takes her new friend, Adam (Steve Martin) to a graduation party being held for her son, Luke.  The party takes place at Lauren and Harley's home.  Lauren is Jane's daughter (Luke's sister) and Harley is Jane's soon-to-be, son-in-law.

    When we first see the home, it's the evening of the party and it looks like this...all lit up.



    These scenes do appear to have been shot in a real home.  What do you think?  You can tell it's an older home by all the heavy moldings, and the wainscoting/wood paneled walls all throughout the home.  Though the home feels really traditional for the most part, you'll catch glimpses of lamps and decorative pieces with a more modern style.





    Here's another view showing the wonderful wall treatment that runs throughout much of the downstairs area of the home.  I guess you would call it a boards and batten look.



    Love all the candlelight for the party in the movie.  Candlelight is one of my favorite parts of having a party.  Just soothes and creates such an inviting atmosphere.



    The patio outside was also decorated in the movie...lots of pretty lanterns.



    We see a painted brick fireplace and lots of wonderful built-in cabinetry/book shelves.  I love homes with personality and features like built in cabinetry!



    The day after the party, Jane returns to talk with all three of her children who have sought refuge here after an upsetting evening of events at Jane's home.  We get a little better view of the siding on the home in this view.  It appears to be a combination of painted or stained cedar shake siding and maybe board and batten...hard to tell.



    Harley is relieved to see Jane and shows her to the bedroom where all three of her children have spent the night consoling each other.  We get a glimpse of the hall leading to the bedrooms and the paneling we saw in the living room, continues here, as well.



    I love bookshelves in hallways.  This hall is a bit tight, but I still like the idea of making use of what is normally wasted space in a home. Love the old doors!



    I was a little surprised by the decor in this bedroom.  The wallpaper feels a bit old fashioned, which is sort of surprising for a young, modern couple like Lauren and Harley.  The Roman shades give it a bit more of an updated feel, which is kind of funny to say since Roman shades were in style many years ago.  I remember when I moved into my home in 1990, there were Roman shades in my family room.



    Joanie (Cote de Texas) created a wonderful post about this movie and she identified the paper as "a taupe Farrow and Ball paper called Melrose."  I liked the paper more once I found out it was Farrow and Ball. ;) It does cozy up a room, doesn't it?  Feels homey and kind of comforting, which was perfect for this scene.



    I happened to watch this movie around the time I was on my forever search for a cute chest to go beside the cottage-styled chair in my Sewing/Craft Room/Office .  It's kind of hard to see, but behind Jane (Meryl Streep) is a cute chest painted with soft, vertical, yellow stripes.  It caught my eye while I was watching the movie because I had been trying to work a painted piece into my office.  I had hoped to find an old chest while out thrifting and I had considered painting stripes on it, if I ever found the right chest.



    Screeeech!  Guess what that was?  That was this post taking a giant right hand turn.  Unfortunately, we don't really get to see much more of this cute cottage, so I thought I'd share some of the fun inspiration "chest" pics I stored away in a file on my computer, just in case that thrift store piece miraculously fell on my head.  Which it didn't.  But all is well since I love the chest I finally found in the end, visible in THIS post.

    If you've been thinking about adding a painted piece to one of the rooms in your home AND you were thinking about painting it yourself, you'll find all kinds of inspiration online.   I'm not exactly sure where I found all these pics, now.  If you recognized them from a particular store, let me know and I'll add it to the post.

    Love this cute striped chest.  This look may have been great beside my green and white cottage chair.  Isn't the shape of the chest adorable?


    Love this!  If I came across this in a store for the right price, I don't think I'd be able to leave it behind.

    I bet this look could be duplicated without that much trouble.  If you bought a chest or sideboard, removed the knobs and painted it, you could add a similar pattern/design with a a couple of different sized stencils.   Notice the top and feet coordinate with the color of the design on front.  The soft muted colors are so pretty.

    You can even go bold!  The sky is the limit when painting a piece.

    Love the scalloped edge of the top and those fun knobs on this whimsical piece.  You can see the silly knobs I chose for my porch hutch in THIS post.


    This cute changing table painted with vertical stripes is similar to what we saw in the movie, It's Complicated.  Well, the stripes are...not the changing table part.



    This piece feels shabby and elegant all at the same time.  This chest and the changing table above are both from Cottage Chic.



    Wouldn't this cottage chest look adorable with a lamp like...


    ...this shell lamp I saw recently at A Classy Flea for just $24.  Speaking of cottage and beachy things...




    You'll find additional Movie House Tours HERE OR click on any picture link below.

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews