10 Must-Haves on My Winter Survival List

    I love, love, love hot weather.  When I used to work in an office environment, when my fellow office mates thought the temperature was just right, I was cold.  If it felt just right to me in the office, everyone else was roasting.   Cold weather is not my friend.

    Over the years I've found ways to deal with Old Man Winter.  Today I thought I'd share a few things that are high on the "Susan's Winter Survival Gear" list.    Be sure to share what's on your cold weather survival list...I would love to hear what gets you through these cold, dreary days of winter.

    Flannel Sheets:
    I love me some flannel sheets.  In fact, I have to fight myself to keep from putting them on the bed too early in the fall season.  It's so nice to crawl into bed and have it feeling snugly warm when you get in.  Remember the days of electric blankets?  Wonder if they still make those?  



    Vaseline:
    I put this on my lips every night before I turn in.  It's also a handy size for your purse.  You wake up with soft, conditioned lips, ready for another winter's day.


    Thick woolly socks:
    If my feet are warm, I'm warm.  I LIVE in the thickest, "woolliest" cotton socks I can find, all winter long.  I found some at Kohl's one year and they have lasted through a gazillion winters.  Land's End and LL Bean sell them made with merino wool and they are supposed to be soft and not scratchy.  I can't wear wool sweaters...they make me itch even through thick turtle necks.  Has anyone tried the wool socks made with merino wool?  Wonder if they are less itchy?  I'm sure they are nice and warm.



    Silks:
    I used to wear these all the time when I worked as a Social Worker and spent my days out in the field on appointments. You never knew when you might find yourself spending the day in a home without heat or standing outside a home with police and paramedics.   I still love them for times when I'm going to be out doors a good bit.  They don't add bulk under your clothing like regular ole long underwear.  They cost a little more than normal long underwear, but they are super warm and comfy.  I noticed the tops are on sale right now at Land's End.  Don't know why the bottoms aren't.  Strange.  Watch for these to go on sale in some of the online stores, then snag you a pair.  They also come in round neck and turtle neck styles.




    Books:
    I can survive any winter, no matter how cold, if I just have a few good books by my side.  Cicero said it best:  “A room without books is like a body without a soul.” ― Marcus Tullius Cicero



    Hot Chocolate:
    Gotta have a mug of hot chocolate when I curl up in front of the fire with a good book.   (Tablescape can be viewed HERE.)



    Static Guard:
    Love this stuff, but not for what you think.  I was whining to someone a while back about all the static I have in my long hair come wintertime.   I always use a really good conditioner, but it doesn't seem to help stop the static issue.  My friend suggested Static Guard.  Before I sprayed the Static Guard on my brush, I checked the side of the can and sure enough, you can use it on your brush for static issues with your hair.  And it works!  It lasts quite a while too...basically all day.  So no more hair sticking to my face and driving me totally bonkers all winter.



    Udderly Smooth:
    My sister was the one who first told me about this lotion.  Can you guess what it was originally created for.  Those spots on the container aren't just there for decoration. lol  I've been using the one on the far left, but I may try the stuff on the far right with Urea next time.  It says it's for really dry skin...and yes, Urea is what it sounds like. lol   But what the heck.  The regular stuff is so great, I'm willing to try the intensive stuff, too.   I love that it absorbs immediately into your skin and doesn't leave it feeling greasy.  Good stuff.




    Small Heater:
    One of these lives in my office all winter, usually up under my desk.  Love the warmth.




    Water:
    Since I'm so cold natured and almost always have a small heater running in my office, I try to drink lots of water during the winter.  Very important to stay hydrated.  I usually keep some in the car, too.

    What's on your winter survival list? Can't wait to hear!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews