Audible: The Cure for Blogger's Butté

    Pssst:  If you're having trouble reading blogs, if they lock up and don't load correctly, try downloading the browser, Google Chrome.  Some browsers don't seem to work well with Blogger.

    Did you know Blogging has its occupational hazards?  Yup!  No one really warns you of this when you first become addicted engaged in blogging.



    Surprisingly, it doesn't take long before you find yourself coming down with a raging case of Blogger's Butté, (pronounced, Blogger's Boo-tay.)   Have you ever heard of it?  It's quite the serious affliction, you know, having a number of ever-growing (pun intended) and unwanted side effects.



    Now, I know you're wondering, what exactly is Blogger's Butté?   Well, the "official" definition is:

    Blog·ger's Bu·tté:  (\ˈblŏg·gər's bōō·tāy)
    n.
    1. An excessive accumulation of  adipose tissue in the lower quadrant of the body (sometimes known as the sitting-down-place) commonly found in one who engages in the creation of a web log on a daily basis.

    Go ahead...look it up in Websters.  I'm sure it's there. ;)




    In my efforts to ward off (too late for that).  In my efforts to cure, Blogger's Butté, I have begun walking occasionally in a park near my home.  In the not-so-distant past, my very favorite exercise in the whole world was biking 3-4 times a week on The Silver Comet Trail, a "rails to trails" project located about 45 minutes from my home.  My 3-day-a-week routine was, leave work at 5:00 PM, arrive at the trail by 5:20, change into biking clothes, bike 11 miles out to the 22 mile marker, turn around and bike 11 miles back.   All the stress of the day vanished and it was beyond wonderful.



    The Silver Comet Trail is scenic, beautiful and absolutely wonderful any time of the year.  You can see a lot more of it in THIS post.



    It's also very isolated and wooded, which was one of the reasons I loved it it so much, that is until a woman was attacked smack in the middle of the stretch I rode each time.  Not good.



    So, in my quest to find a cure for a progressing case of Blogger's Butté, I've been looking for a replacement form of exercise, something that didn't feel like exercise.  You may have noticed that's kind of hard to find...exercise that doesn't feel like exercise.  I've never been a big fan of walking...too boring.  Even listening to music while I walked didn't help.

    Then Audible came into my life.  (Insert happy dance.)

    Now I actually find myself looking forward, even anticipating, my daily walks.  And thanks to the wonderful comments left on the recent post, Dream Towns, Fantasy and Real, I'm currently escaping to the town of Mitford each day.  Thank you for that recommendation!

    At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon is like a trip back to Mayberry R.F.D.  I've just started it...only a few chapters in, but so far I'm enjoying it.  This is just Book 1 in a series so I'll be hanging out in Mitford for a while...probably the rest of January and February.



    On previous walks I've gotten acquainted with Steve Jobs...all 600+ pages of his fascinating and complicated life as detailed in the book by Walter Isaacson appropriately titled, Steve Jobs.  Steve also rode with me on the trip to Ohio and back around Thanksgiving.  Sure made those hours go by a lot quicker.




    One of my favorite "couldn't-quit-listening" books was Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker.  So fascinating!  If I sounded a little loopy in some of my posts in December, it was probably sleep deprivation and I'm blaming it on this book.  Couldn't. quit. listening.




    I just finished a short book called The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.  Really enjoyed the first 2/3rds of the book; the last part was a little strange.  It was totally worth a listen though for that first part.  Anyone who works in a creative field, be it writing, painting, whatever...would feel motivated by this book.



    The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss is interesting but parts definitely require a "willing suspension of disbelief."  There's some good advice in there though, especially on how to disconnect from e-mail to get stuff done.  This book is probably best "read" because there are long periods when the web addresses of recommended sites are being rattled off.  Eventually, you just have to fast forward through all of that, but it would be handy to have this book in written form so you can actually check out some of the sites.  If you have a Kindle or iPad, you can download the book to those to view all those web addresses




    Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach started out fascinating.  Gross, but fascinating.  After a while it began to feel a bit morbid.  Okay, a lot morbid.  There was one chapter I found really disturbing.  You'll know it when you get to it...it involves animal research.  I couldn't deal with that so I stopped the book long enough to read a few of the reviews on Amazon, whereupon I discovered I wasn't the only one who couldn't handle that chapter.  So, if you're a big animal lover, skip that chapter. The rest of the book was pretty riveting...and educational.  It's not for the squeamish, though.




    One of my majors in college was Psychology; I love learning why we do what we do.  Periodically, Audible sends you a selection of books you can download for just $5.  I think Your Brain at Work was one of those.  Interesting book.



    Since I'm trying to shave off about 10-15 LBs, I had to check out Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It) . Wow!  I never knew just how bad sugar was for us...totally messes with our bodies in so many ways.  So does stress, sitting too much and not enough sleep.  It all plays a huge factor in putting on some extra pounds.  Okay, we all know this, but listening to an expert tell you exactly how and why does help to keep you on the straight and narrow...at least for the period while you're listening to the book.  I'm not making any promises about afterwards.



    In addition to At Home in Mitford, I'm also listening to Spark right now.  If you're interested in learning about the effect exercise (and the lack thereof)  has on our brains and our ability to learn, check this one out.  Have you been listening to all the stuff in the news lately about the most recent findings on Alzheimer's?  It goes hand in hand with what the author of this book says about exercise and the brain.

    (All book images are from Amazon)

    This is a sampling of some of the books I've downloaded to my home computer and phone over the last three months.  You can also download and listen to the New York Times for free.  I tried that, too...but much prefer the books.

    I also ordered this little thingy majigy called a Pocket Pedometer. It keeps track of how far you've walked each day.  Did you know the average person only walks about 2,000-3,000 steps a day.  6,000 steps a day improves health and 8,000-10,000 promotes weight loss.  Interesting, huh?

    I chose this particular model of pedometer because it doesn't have to be in an upright or flat position...works in any position.  So you can just stick it in your pocket, purse or hang it around your neck and you're good to go.

    I've listened to more books in the last few months than I've read in ages.  I'm still buying books, I'll never quit buying books, but it feels really good to get some exercise and be entertained while I'm doing it.  Even folding laundry, dusting and sorting through hundreds of pictures for blog posts borders on fun when you're spending the day in Mitford with Father Tim and Emma.

    You can even read blogs while exercising on a treadmill.  Click HERE to see how a reader of BNOTP reads blogs while exercising at the same time.

    So, that's how I'm fighting the battle of the blogger's butté these days.  Anyone else hooked on Audible besides me...and Sammy?



    Be sure to check out a site recommended by April in the comments called Books Should Be Free.  You'll find some classic audio books free for downloading.  Awesome!

    Links referenced above:
    Silver Comet Trail
    Dream Towns, Fantasy and Real
    Finally Revealed...The Real Brains Behind BNOTP
    Exercise (on a Treadmill) While Blogging and Working

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews