Pottery Barn Bedford Office Additions: Welcome to the 157th Metamorphosis Monday!

    Happy Metamorphosis Monday!  Thank you for all the supportive comments and e-mails I received about changing the start of our Met Monday party to Monday morning and our Tablescape Thursday party to Thursday morning.  You guys are awesome!

    I'm so excited to share some fun tweaks and additions I've made in the office this week.  (You can follow the full transformation of the office in THIS post.)  You may remember in the past I've mentioned I would love an ottoman for the seating area.



    I have envisioned something with a rattan or wicker base and a nice cream or light colored cushion on top for comfort.  I thought it would add some additional texture and interest in the office and would tie in nicely with the baskets you see in the desk unit below



    Ideally, I wanted it to be a storage ottoman so I could hide away the throw I use during the wintertime.  After searching online and in local stores, I hadn't been able to find one I liked or that fit the budget I had in mind for this purchase.  At one time, I tried a few large rattan baskets (with lids) but the tops were either too weak to act as an ottoman or they were too large or too tall.  Plus, they weren't really that comfy under foot.

    The ottoman shown below at Pottery Barn came the closest to the look I wanted, but it's way too big, too expensive and isn't a storage ottoman.  If it had met just two of those three requirements, I probably would have gone for it.  It's a pretty good example of what I had in mind.   I do this to myself all the time...conjure up what I want/need in my head, then discover it doesn't exist. lol  Do you do that, too?


    In a recent post I mentioned my quest for an ottoman, and a dearheart suggested looking at World Market.   I did and found an ottoman that works well for this space and at a great price, only $67.  Okay, enough talking...come check it out.



    Mr. Max is convinced I bought it just for him.  He's abandoned the top of my desk for this cushy spot.



    I didn't take time to iron the slip cover (like the directions suggested) so try to ignore the wrinkles.  The slip cover is a heavy canvas or linen type fabric...not sure exactly what it is, but I like it.  The covers come in a variety of colors: Khaki, Ivory, Rust, Charcoal or Plum.  I went with the ivory to blend with the Pottery Barn Bedford desk, the chair-side chest and the Rosalie green and white floral fabric.  (The Rosalie chair is available again at Pier1...saw it online recently.)



    Now here's the thing that really sold me on it.  If it gets permanently stained or if I come across a fabric I adore one day for curtains in this room, it would be a cinch to make a new slip cover to coordinate with another fabric.  (A skirted cover could be made to coordinate with the pleated skirt on the chair.)  The top separates from the bottom half of the ottoman; they are held together by really strong Velcro.   You would never know if you didn't pull the top off.


    Currently the ottoman is on sale for $30, yup, that's not a typo, it's just $30.  The slip cover is on sale for $35.99.  You can see them both HERE.  I love how thick and cushy the top is...very solid feeling and so comfortable to sit on or prop your feet on.  It looks great with a throw tossed across it.

    Now, it's not a storage ottoman...wish it was, but for $67 and the versatility to recover it a gazillion times in the future if needed, I can give up the storage part.  I'll just have to walk the 10 feet to the linen closet in the hallway to put up the throw once winter is ever.  I think I can handle that. ;)



    If you are new to reading BNOTP and you're wondering what's on the other wall in the office...Billy bookcases from IKEA.  You can read about those HERE.  I'm thinking of adding one more IKEA bookcase/storage unit in this space...but not in the room.  More on that in a sec.



    To satisfy my craving for some additional texture, I stole the magazine basket from the Upstairs Family Room, HERE.  See it there beside the chair?



    I tucked it along side the chair so now I have a place to store magazines or books I may be reading.  I'm thinking of taking knitting up again.  Wouldn't that be a great place to stash away some knitting?



    And it ties back in with the baskets on the other side of the room.  Sorry, this is an older pic below.  I forgot to take a pic of the room looking back this way with the ottoman in place.


    Some additional whimsy for the office:
    Notice the little area where the pink tissue box is sitting on the desk...there to the right of the monitors?  I've been searching for some bookends for that spot to support books I need to refer to when I'm working.  I finally found some I couldn't resist.  If you follow BNOTP on Facebook, you've already seen them since I shared them on Facebook last week.



    It's just a little additional whimsy for the office and a place to tuck a few fave books away.  (Bookends are from Pier1.)  These are not the books I'll usually keep here.  It will most likely be Photoshop for Dummies or something like that, but I had to make it pretty for the picture.  ;)



    So those are the changes I've made this week in the office.  Only thing I'm still itching to add now is an Expedit unit (from IKEA) for the office closet.  I measured the closet for it months ago, and it's going to be a really tight fit getting it in.  It will be an almost perfect fit, if I can get it into the closet.

    I wonder...if I buy an Expedit unit from IKEA, bring it home, assemble it, and can't get it through the closet door, do you think they will let me return it?  I would dread having to take it back apart.  Ugh.   I don't think I can build it inside the closet...just not enough space.  Will keep you posted on how that goes.  In the meantime, I'm looking forward to your Before and Afters!



    To receive the latest posts, as well as updates about blog parties, subscribe via an RSS Reader or have BNOTP delivered right to your Inbox.  You'll find links to subscribe via RSS and Email on the sidebar to the right.  Thanks for reading; so glad you are here!

    Reading this post via e-mail or RSS feed?
    *If you are reading this via email or RSS feed, to view all the Before and Afters linked for Metamorphosis Monday, click HERE.


    Metamorphosis Monday:
    If you are participating in Metamorphosis Monday you will need to link up the "permalink" to your MM post and not your general blog address. To get your permalink, click on your post name, then just copy and paste the address that shows up in the address bar at the top of your blog, into the "url" box for InLinkz.

    In order to link up, you'll need to include a link in your MM post back to the party.

    If you'd like to include the MM button in your post, just copy and paste the Met Monday button to your computer or grab the html code from underneath the MM logo under the "BNOTP Parties" header at the top of this blog.

    PLEASE DO NOT type in all caps...it spreads the links waaaay out. Thanks!

    Let's try something fun today! Please visit the person who linked before you and after you...that way everyone will get some visits. Hope you'll visit more, of course.
    Welcome! Thanks for coming to the party!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews