Easter Wall Art Tutorial

    I had so many wonderful commits on my Teen Girl’s Wall Art.  Thank you everyone.  Your commits were so sweet, you made me think I had done something totally wonderful!  When in fact I just slapped paint on paper and scribbled around the blob with a Sharpie marker.

    It’s like when you look at a piece of art with a over priced tag hang from it and know that your four-year-old could have created it. 

           {Really only $500 for that black and blue blob?}

    Please don’t get me wrong….. I do appreciate good quality art and think artist deserve getting paid well for their talent. But you all know what I’m talking about… Right?

    Here is a tutorial to prove to each of you that you can recreate this:

    Easter Wall Art

    Start with these supplies:

    Pencil, Sharpie marker, cup of water, towel, paint (green, pink, white, & black), sketch pad (or card stock), paint brushes, scrap paper, frame

    supply collage

    Determine how big you want each print.  I started with the frame (hey, I’m learning!) to determine the size of my finished project.  Lightly draw the shapes in pencil.  If your really uncomfortable about drawing free hand, you could  print a template off the computer and trace around the shape.

    draw collage

    NOW PAUSE…..Take a deep Breath……. and pick up your paint brush.  Remember it’s only paper.  What’s the worse that could happen?  You throw it away and start again!

    Looking at the photo of the supplies, notice how little paint is needed. (Any Mary Kay consultants recognize my paint tray? LOL)

    Load the paint brush with green paint and tap off the excess on a paper towel.  Keep the brush completely vertical.  Now lightly tap the bristles on the paper.  *TIP#1* You don’t want to completely cover the area.  It’s okay to have some of the paper peeking through.  Paint slightly over the pencil lines.  *TIP#2* Think about the way light hits an object.  Keep it lighter in color on the top and a little bit darker on the bottom.  Do this by adding white & green for the highlights and black & green for the shadows.  *It only takes just a TINY bit of black to darken the color.  You want a darker green or a light green shade NOT white, gray, or black.

    painting eagg

    Here you can see before and after I applied some shadowing on the stem and leaves of the flower.  *TIP#3* I did all the green and then washed out my brush before moving on to the pink.

    shadow collage

    Alright your doing great!  I know it looks like a big blob of paint in the middle of the paper.

    Now time for some fun. Dip the end of the paint brush in the green paint and paint some dots in and around the egg shape. 

    IMG_0657

    Repeat with the pink paint. Let the paint dry.

    painted

    Using the “extra fine” black Sharpie marker, start at the bottom of the painted area.  Slowly recreate a small shape of the egg, without picking up the marker, continue making that shape each time get a little bit larger.  *TIP#4* I like the look when two outlines cross over one another and letting the lines go outside the painted area.

    scribble

    Glue finished art onto the scrape paper and frame.  Step back and enjoy your masterpiece!!!  Now run and show everyone!!! 

    vinette

    My fabulous nest and eggs came for this Esty store. 

    CLICK HERE

    nest & eggs

    Happy Easter,                                                                     Carrie

Total Pageviews