Cactus Wood

    I know I’m suppose to be on vacation in Texas but……. in lieuuu of this East~Coast~All~Her~Lifer traveling westward I thought I share something really awesome!!!!

    Did you know that this

    cactus_big

    Could be turned into this

    Catus vase 1

    My aunt, whom lives out west, came to visit and brought all kinds of neat things with her.  One being a piece of wood from a Saguaro Cactus.  Now I don’t know if this is just me or not but did you know cactus was a “woody” plant?  I always thought it was a “fleshy” plant….. like a household plant.  {insert my western bloggy friends’ rolling eyes} 

    So in my defense, I really have never seen a Saguaro Cactus in real life.  I’ve been told that they have them here in Texas but they must be west of Dallas/Fort Worth area.

    My wonderful father does a lot of woodworking.  His favorite thing to do is turn bowls and vases.  As he has never worked with this kind of wood before, he carefully turned the cactus wood on his lathe.  After he was done polishing, my mother inserted a small test tube.  The end result…

    One Unique Vase!!!!! 

    He started with a piece that looked like this

    {kind of reminds me of a luffa sponge}

    CIMG4211

     

    IMG_3501

    As much as I love this, it’s going home with my aunt. Booo :(

    Don’t they know that I get first dibs on everything my father creates? hee hee

     

    My father has had a great week at his Etsy store!  Please check out all his wonderful creations.  Click Here

    Have a wonderful weekend,

    Carrie

Total Pageviews