Patriotic Boys Lamp

    I’m still making my way through several projects for my youngest son’s bedroom.  Without really realizing it I have given his room a  patriotic theme.   Because of the time of year, it’s made it easy to shop for accessories for his room!!!

    IMG_3085

    {The Before}

    $3.00 lamp from Goodwill

    Doesn’t it look like the shade is trying to swallow the base?

    IMG_2748

    IMG_2753

     

    {The Base}

    Painted with Krylon Fusion Red.  I had originally spray painted the metal base silver but opted to paint it completely red.  Still using the same can of red spray paint I used on the fan!  This paint covers so well.  Definitely worth the money.

    Added some extra weight to the bottom. {left over from another lamp redo}   Very easy to do by unscrewing the nut off the bottom.

    IMG_2872

    I spotted this cool sticky backed felt in  Wal-Mart and knew it would work perfectly to cover all the nasty!  and secondly it would prevent the lamp from scratching the faux stained treatment!!!! 

    IMG_3067

    While I hade the base apart, I added a little extra height by cutting a piece of PVC pipe {a product used for plumbing}, spray painted it silver, and slipped it over the lamp rod!

    IMG_3023

    {The Shade}  

    Nothing is easy as you want it to be…..

    I had a hard time finding a shade that I liked.  I ended up finding this shade at Target.  I wanted white….you would think that would be an easy find….I had to settle for cream.  The shape didn’t make it easy to cover either.  Because it tapper at the top, you simply couldn’t run ribbon around the center and glue. 

    Here’s what I did: 

    • Loosely measure around the lamp’s middle.
    • Cut a 2” band of blue fabric.
    • Sew red ribbon on top of the blue fabric ban.
    • Pinned ban around the shade wrong side up. Pinned the excess material at the corners.
    • Sew the corners and trim off excess material.

    IMG_2859

    Here’s the ban sewn and trimmed. 

    IMG_2863 

    Turn the ban right-side out and slip over shade.  Add a dab of hot glue to secure.

    IMG_2869

    I originally had three little red stars but as you can see in the “After” photo, I changed it to one large star in front for a bigger impact!

    IMG_3021

    {The After}

    IMG_3090

    Linking to these parties:

     

    You light up my days,

    Carrie

Total Pageviews