Home Tour: Historic Home Built in 1850

    Before I discovered blogs, one of my favorite guilty pleasures was visiting real estate sites with listings of beautiful historic homes for sale.  Nothing like taking a wonderful home tour while sitting in the comfort of your own home.  A great site that showcases historic homes is OldHousesdotcom. Recently, I followed a link on their site and it led me to this beautiful home in Palmetto, Georgia.



    This home sits on 16.73 acres and the interior appears to be professionally decorated with the furnishings valued at $500,000.  So let's take a tour! :)



    I love an entry large enough for a large, round center hall table.  I adore all the high ceilings throughout this beautiful home.


    The Living Room:  Very ornate and very pretty.  Wonder how the ceiling is finished...looks interesting, doesn't it?



    The kitchen has custom cabinetry and the appliances are Viking.  Notice the large lamp on the counter...something you don't see very often.  I was just thinking how nice it would be to have a lamp in a kitchen on a timer that came on at dark.  You'd never have to walk into a dark kitchen when you're making that midnight snack run.  Or, maybe that's just me with the nighttime snack attack. ;)


    Amazing light fixture over the island.  I love the chickens holding the paper towels.  The open cabinetry appears to have a bead board back.  



    The flag above the mantel is gorgeous against the old brick, isn't it?   Have you ever seen a paper towel holder like that?  I can't get over it...too cute!  It's big...you need some counter space for one that size.  Gorgeous butcher block island top.  How do you like the black doors? I think they are painted black...either that or a very dark stain.



    Powder Room:  I wonder if this bath is tucked under a staircase.  Often when old homes are renovated/restored, a powder room is created in the area under a stairway.



    The Dining Room:  Beautiful chandelier!  Can you just imagine how gorgeous it must be in person?  I love that it's hanging low enough to actually appreciate it.  So often I see chandelier hung really high above dining room tables.  Notice the elaborate wall treatment.  Wonder if it's wallpaper or hand-painted? 



    Family Room/Den:  There's another door that's either painted black or has a dark stain.  Notice the wonderful arrangement on the shelf above the doorway.  Love the big lanterns on the mantel.  I think that's a  croquet set there against the wall.   I would never think to display one inside this way, but that particular set is really wonderful with all the beautiful wood.  I love seeing a large upholstered ottoman as a coffee table, but I'm not sure I would be brave enough to have one in my own home.  I'd be so worried about turning over a drink on the tray and it ending up on the ottoman.  They look great for propping up your feet, though.  This ottoman coordinates with the back of the bookshelves.  Amazing detail in this home.  Do you have an upholstered "coffee table" and if so, do you like it? 



    The Sunroom:  Beautiful room!  Now how do you think they keep all the colorful fabrics from fading?  Maybe the glass is treated to prevent this problem.  Are the columns on the outside?  It looks like the glass goes up to the center of them.  Maybe they are half inside and half outside.  Imagine all the parties that have been held in this home.  :)  



    I think this is the upstairs landing.  Love, love, love the high ceilings.  I've been on a few historic home tours where someone had lowered the ceilings and it made me want to cry.  Usually that can be undone, though.


    If this is the upstairs landing, the stairway going up must lead to the attic.  I love going in the attic of an old home.  I've only been able to do that on one historic home tour and it was amazing.



    Wonder if this is the Master Bedroom?  Beautiful color blue on the walls.

    I think there's a little blue in the fabric, though it's hard to see in this pic.  Pretty sure I see some in the bed skirt.  Notice how the trim is white in this room.




    This may be the master bath.  The wall paper looks like damask, doesn't it?  I'd love to tour this house in person.  Wonder if that's fabric on the walls or paper?  






    The trim is stained in this bedroom...very different look.  It doesn't feel dark, though because of all the beautiful fabric/draperies.  Normally, I'm not crazy about a settee at the foot of the bed because it often hides the beauty of the bed, but I actually like the way this one looks.  Older homes are blessed with so many beautiful windows in each room.  It can sometimes make it a challenge finding a good spot for the bed.  Looks like they had to place this one in front of the windows.



    The custom window treatments in this house are truly amazing! Cute baby bed on the right. This must be a guest room.



    Here's a back view of this estate.  Hope you enjoyed the tour.  I always love home tours because no matter how different the home is from my own, I always come away with new ideas...like coordinating the back of built-in shelving with an ottoman in the room...or displaying a vintage croquet set inside in a family room, or a large lamp on a kitchen counter.  What ideas did you come away with?  



    You can see more of this home located in Palmetto Georgia, HERE.  Did you have a favorite room on the tour?   


    Love historic home tours?  You'll find more HERE.  Click any thumbnail to view that tour.

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews