Restoring Vintage Linens, Welcome to the 77th Metamorphosis Monday!

    I'm excited to share an awesome metamorphosis with you this week. Susan, whose Esty shop is, My Place to Yours, loves finding old linens that appear ruined and ready for the trash heap...and saving them...restoring them to their original state. Have you ever wondered if and how this could be done with stained vintage linens? Susan is going to show us today, then you'll be able to do this right at home the next time you come across a lovely old piece that's in need of some TLC to be beautiful again. Here's Susan to tell us how:

    Susan shared:

    I love auctions because I just never know what I’ll find! Recently, I came across an old Bates bedspread box. My heart stopped... could it be? Would I be so lucky as to find a beautiful old matelasse spread inside? And if I did, what would its condition be? The box looked REALLY bad. I held my breath as I opened it.


    Oooooh, there was the spread I hoped to find! But it was dirty.





    It was REALLY dirty ... Those aren't shadows you see in the pics; they are yellow stains.



    OK, I’ll admit ... it was FILTHY! But except for those “minor” stains, it was in perfect condition. In fact, it looked like it had never been used!



    So I bought it! Everyone thought I was crazy, but they don’t know that I love the challenge of returning vintage linens to pristine condition. Still there was the question ... Could this once-beautiful vintage bedspread be pristine again?



    Let’s find out ... Because I knew this project would require several soaks -- and quite a bit of cleaning product -- I decided to forego my all-time favorite linen cleaner, RESTORATION, and entrust this vintage beauty to OxiClean powder instead. The antique tub in my guest bathroom comes in handy for large items like a bedspread! I filled the tub with several scoops of OxiClean and lots of HOT water. (Notice the water temp... That’s a hint when laundering vintage linens.)



    After thoroughly dissolving the OxiClean, I added the bedspread. Almost immediately, the water turned golden as the stains began to soak out of the fabric. I let it soak for about 15-20 minutes then drained the water -- and started all over again. Another hint ... When laundering vintage linens (or any fabric, for that matter), remember that the fabric is heavier than usual when it’s wet, and the extra weight puts pressure on the fibers. Lift the item gently to avoid damage. Also, never wring out the water; PRESS it out or carefully squeeze it out instead.




    By now it’s Day Two, and I’ve soaked this spread several times. At first, I soaked and rinsed within the hour because the water was so dirty. Once the water stayed mostly clear, however, I let it soak 6-8 hours at a time, occasionally adding more hot water.


    You can see from this pic that it’s looking much better! But the question remains ... Will ALL of the stains come out? Let’s see ...



    AFTER:

    Do you see any stains? Look closely ...





    Nope ... I don’t see any either!





    Not a single one!



    Aaaaaah, success! Two days of part-time work -- and another vintage treasure restored!





    Susan, thanks so much for sharing this wonderful transformation! I had my doubts in the beginning, but look at this matelasse spread now! I don't think I'll look at those old stained linens in antique/thrift stores quite the same way anymore now that I know how to bring them back to life.

    This beautifully restored, vintage matelasse spread is available in Susan's Etsy shop, My Place to Yours, along with lots more wonderful treasures.

    I'm so looking forward to seeing your, Before and Afters!



    If you are participating in Metamorphosis Monday: Please be sure to add your permalink below, and not your general blog address. To get your permalink, click on your post name, then just copy and paste the address that shows up in the address bar at the top, into the "url" box for the picture linky. You'll also need to put your e-mail address in, but don't worry, it will not be visible to anyone.

    I'd love it if you would include the MM button in your post, to make it easy for others to find you MM post. To do that, just copy and paste the Met Monday button to your computer or grab the html code from underneath the MM logo on my sidebar.

    Please include a link in your MM post back to the host blog, Between Naps on the Porch. Why is this important? When you include a link back to BNOTP, it ensures your regular readers/visitors will find the other awesome "Before and Afters" linked for this Metamorphosis Monday. If everyone links back, this maximizes the opportunity for visits for all who participate.

    Please do not add your link below, until your MM post is actually published to your blog. Please DO NOT type in all caps...it spreads the links waaaay out. Thanks! :-)

    Let's try something fun today! Please visit the person who linked before you and after you...that way everyone will get some visits. Hope you'll visit more, of course. :-)

Total Pageviews