Sherman Slept Here, Risen From the Ashes! Welcome to the 79th Metamorphosis Monday!

    Little Reminder: Thank-you for linking back to this post so the regular visitors to your blog will find all your fellow Blogger's posts linked here for this Met Monday. :-)

    Poll:
    There is just 1 day left to vote in the poll I have posted under my Facebook link on the sidebar. I so appreciate all of you who have taken a sec to vote. It's great knowing how you feel about the large pics!


    Metamorphosis Monday:

    I had soooo much fun reading all of your thoughts about the home I was able to tour on the spring ramble with The Georgia Trust in Rome, Georgia. As I mentioned in the post yesterday, I really don't know the exact time frame during which the home was decorated...I would have guessed during the late 80's-early 90's. Some of you picked the same time frame and some of you picked a much earlier time. And, a few folks suggested the home may have evolved, as most of our homes do...with rooms, being decorated at different times over the years. I suspect this could be the case because you all had good solid reasons for your time choices/answers. Another BIG reason I think you are right is because, last night, I found pics of the kitchen...and it appears to have had a more recent renovation.

    So how did I see photos of the kitchen? Wellll, I just love playing detective. :-) So, last night I went online and googled, "Realtors in Rome, Georgia", and the second one I located, Hardy Realty, showed a listing for the home. :-)

    Now here's the best part! I have a fabulous surprise for you! I now have a pic of the exterior to share with you AND I have some pics of the interior, fully furnished! Yipee! I knew from the quality of the fabrics, light fixtures and wallpapers, it was going to be beautiful...it did not disappoint!

    Ok, I won't keep you in suspense any longer...but before I show you the pics, let me share one little bit of information I found online about the home. The home I toured and showed you pictures of yesterday, was built in 1910. But, once upon a time, there was another home on this lot. It turns out, Maj. Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman stayed in the original house built here, when he passed through Rome on his "march to the sea." Once he left the area, the original home was burned. :-(

    I read, there's a famous photograph titled, "Sherman and His Officers.," That photograph was taken under one of the large oak trees in the yard. For that reason, the tree is known as, the "Sherman Oak". The present house, the one built in 1910 and that I had the pleasure of touring, was designed after the Gordon-Lee Mansion in Chickmauga, Georgia, some fifty miles north of Rome and near the site of the battle of Chickamauga.

    Ok, let's get to it. :-) Here's the home I toured...isn't it wonderful?! I couldn't remember much about the exterior, only remembered it had HUGE columns.




    Now, let's go inside. I've added the pics I showed you in yesterday's post, in-between the pics I found online of the real estate listing. Hope you enjoy seeing it with furniture as much as I did. This is sort of a reverse metamorphosis. I showed you how it looked at present, in yesterday's post...empty of furniture since it is for sale. And, in this post, I'm showing you how it looked when the family lived there and it was fully furnished.

    From the real estate listing: Here's the parlor/living room. I didn't get a picture of this room the day I toured the home, but isn't it wonderful?




    Remember this pic? I showed it and the following two photos to you in yesterday's post.









    Here's how the room looked when the family still lived in the home. Looks so different furnished and with beautiful mirrors and paintings on the wall, doesn't it. Love this room!




    I didn't take any pics of the kitchen when I toured the house, but here's how it looks. It appears to have been renovated in recent years...note the granite counters, can lights, and the two different finishes on the cabinetry.



    Another view of the kitchen...



    Remember this pic I shared in yesterday's post? I really wondered what this room might have been. Perhaps a library/study for the man of the house?




    Here's the close-up of the wallpaper that I shared yesterday. Ok, keeping this in mind...




    Here's a pic taken from the real estate listing...I guess this would have been the breakfast room. Look through the doorway...I think that is the room I showed you above...doesn't that paper look like the same paper. And check out the huge fish on the wall. Someone in this family was definitely into fishing.




    Now the "fishing lures" wall paper I found upstairs in this room, makes more sense.




    Here's another pic I took while touring the home in April...




    I've been trying to figure out if this is the same room as above. This photo below is from the real estate listing. The fireplaces look the same, but the area on the right of the fireplace looks different in my photo than it does in the real estate lising.

    Maybe someone closed off the opening a long time ago, and then later it was reopened. Or this could be another one of the bedrooms in the home and perhaps they just have similar fireplaces...what do you think? Notice in the pic in the real eastate listing, there is no wallpaper, so perhaps it is an entirely different room or the photo was taken prior to it being wall papered.




    Remember this room I showed yesterday? Mainly, I just captured the chandelier in the pics I took in April.




    Here's the pic from the online listing...so now we know how the room looked when the family lived there. And, now we can see the chandelier in relation to the rest of the room. :-) Same beautiful draperies!




    I took this pic of the entry staircase while on the tour...I shared it in yesterday's post. Notice the damask paper.




    Also, I shared this gorgeous chandelier...but I couldn't remember which room I saw it in. Well, now I know. :-) This is the huge chandelier that hangs in the entry. Want to see it and the rest of the entry?




    Here it is! I have to share an interesting story. The tour guide who was standing in the entry told us this was the second chandelier for this spot. He said, years ago, one of the children in the family had a friend over to play...and the friend hung from the original chandelier and spun around and around and around.

    Days later, after the friend had long since gone home, the original chandelier just fell to the floor, shattering in a gazillion pieces. So, this chandelier, per the tour guide, is the second one to hang here. A good warning for us all...he said one should never spin a chandelier around and around to clean it. Apparently they can become unscrewed and fall. I remember having read something about that somewhere else, too. I wonder what the original fixture looked like, don't you?





    Finally, remember the photo I showed you of the sun room as it was the day I toured the home in April?




    Here's a photo of the sun room from the real estate listing...




    A view of the backyard from the real estate listing...



    Would you like more information about this wonderful, historic home? You'll find the MLS listing at Hardy Realty .

    You can see more of this tour of historic homes in Rome, Georgia, HERE and HERE.




    Metamorphosis Monday:
    If you are participating in Metamorphosis Monday: Please be sure to add your permalink below, and not your general blog address. To get your permalink, click on your post name, then just copy and paste the address that shows up in the address bar at the top, into the "url" box for the picture linky. You'll also need to put your e-mail address in, but don't worry, it will not be visible to anyone.

    I'd love it if you would include the MM button in your post, to make it easy for others to find you MM post. To do that, just copy and paste the Met Monday button to your computer or grab the html code from underneath the MM logo on my sidebar.

    Please include a link in your MM post back to the host blog, Between Naps on the Porch. Why is this important? When you include a link back to BNOTP, it ensures your regular readers/visitors will find the other awesome "Before and Afters" linked for this Metamorphosis Monday. If everyone links back, this maximizes the opportunity for visits for all who participate.

    Please do not add your link below, until your MM post is actually published to your blog. Please DO NOT type in all caps...it spreads the links waaaay out. Thanks! :-)

    Let's try something fun today! Please visit the person who linked before you and after you...that way everyone will get some visits. Hope you'll visit more, of course. :-)

Total Pageviews