Can’t Buy Them….. Make Them!

    Wal-Mart was of NO help!

    Walmart is no help

    If you follow Dittle Dattle on Facebook, then you know that I have been back and forth about what to do for curtains in my son’s bedroom.   One day I was walking through the isles of Wal-Mart when I spotted these curtains.  I was so excited that I bought one panel and brought it home to show my son.  We both thought they were perfect! 

    Here’s the dilemma……   all the sizes carried in the store were too short!  Wal-Mart carried the longer size we needed online but they only had ONE inventory! Really…. could this be my luck?  I waited it out for a few weeks thinking they would get more in, only to see this photo above. 

    My Facebook buddies suggested that I get an extra short panel, cut it up, and add it to the other 4 panels.  Great idea but once I started adding up the cost….. it was cheaper for me to make them myself!  Especially since the fabric store down the road from me was having a sale {buy two yards get a yard FREE!} Great because I was going to need 12 yards of fabric.

    Teen-bedrom-curtains

    Here are my finished sewn curtain panels!

    curtain-panel-sewing-layout

    I’m such a visual person that I always have to draw out a diagram or picture of what my finished project will be!  It’s kind of like making my own tutorial each and every time!   You can see that I wanted the overall height of each panel to be 95 inches.  The bottom black fabric I knew I wanted to come up to edge of the window pane and that measured 22 inches.  That left 73 inches for the top gray panel (not including hem and seam allowances).  The numbers that are circled tell me the order in which I will sew each section.

    1. Add bottom black fabric to top gray panel
    2. Press and sew blind hem stitch to bottom
    3. Press and sew both side seams
    4. Hem and sew in back tabs to top pocket last

    {Details}

    Texture-cutain

    The gray material on the top is light weight and has a texture to it.

    My son wasn’t crazy about this fabric when I brought it home but because this store has an not return policy, he was stuck with it!

    sheet-lined-curtain-panel

    Because the gray material was light weight, I knew I would have to add a lining to the back.  However, the fabric store wasn’t having a sale on lining and it was going to cost $43! um…. no thank you.

    My cheap solution………. King size flat black sheets!

    Blind-Hem-Stitch-Front-curtain-panel

    The bottom hem was sewn with a blind hem stitch.  I haven’t sewn a blind hem stitch in a while and had to run through a few practices.  It was so worth it!  Doesn’t it look PROfessional?

    Blind-hem-stitch

    Another shot of the front blind hem stitch.

    Curtain-panel-blind-hem-stitch

    Back side of the blind hem stitch.  Look at those straight hem edges! 

    curtain-panel-with-sheet-lining

    Here you can see the sheet lining.  I used the top of the sheet for the bottom and this saved a world of time with cutting, pressing, and hemming.  Again…... Look at those nice straight hems and seams!  {inserting pat on back}

    Want to know my secret for perfect edges???

    My mom found this template from Scientific Seam Stress.  I have used it a lot and hope you find some great uses for it too!Back-Tab-curtain-panels

    At the top, I added back tab pockets using left over material from the sheets.

    Teen-Boys-Bedroom

    Here are the curtains hang in the room.  Total cost per panel… $23.25.

    Last-wall-of-the-teen-redo

    We are all most done!  I just have to tackle this wall here. 

    Carrie

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews