Frosted Glass Coaster

    I’ve been asked before…… Where do I find my inspiration?

    Honestly, most of my creativity comes out of necessity.  Like todays project.  After spending time transforming my son’s Craigslist nightstands, I need or should I say he needs a coaster by his bedside to protect the stand from water rings.

    This is what I came up with.

    Frosted-glass-monogram-coaster

    Let me apologize now for the bad photograph.  It really turned out sharp looking but I don’t think my photography is doing it justice.

    SCAL-screenshot-monogram-coaster

    I played around and came up with a design in SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot).   The “A” is obviously his initial but the font I used is from one of his many Atlanta Braves hats. 

    Atlantic Braves Hats

    What’s funny is the poor boy doesn’t know the first thing about baseball and finds the sport incredible boring!  He wears them simply for the “A”.  Oh and the Yankee caps are because we are originally from NY.  Sadly this is a small sampling of his ever growing collection.

    cricut-vinyl-stencil

    Back to the project…… I looked around at several stores in search of a square glass or tile that I could use.  While on a recent shopping trip to Big Lots, I stumbled on this candle plate holder.   It’s exactly what I was looking for…. cute little button feet and beveled edges.

    I cut out the SCAL design in vinyl and placed it on the clean glass.  Sort of a reverse stenciling.  My original design had another square outline but I simplified it in the end.

    Frosted-Glass-spray-can

    Next I sprayed the glass with Frosted Glass by Rust-Oleum.  I also have etching cream that you dip an item into, but that would have etched both sides of the glass.  Not what I want on this project. 

    A thought I had while designing the layout…………  instead of frosting just the “A” and the square outline, I reversed it because I thought the  frosted glass would provide a “tooth” to the surface and would keep my son’s drink from sliding off the coaster.  See…. I create out of necessity and (let’s add) common sense! LOL

    Monogram-Coaster

     

    DIY-glass-coster

    Here it is setting on his nightstand.  He kind of has a little shrine of himself going on! he he

    The little wooden vase is handmade by my Dad.   Yes, I just noticed I have an even number of objects on the nightstand (BIG decorator NO NO) but if you will, picture a tall drink setting on that awesome monogramed coaster and then you have an odd number! lol    I need to make one more for the other nightstand because I noticed a water ring left behind from his friend’s glass.  Grrrr!  The good thing is my son and his best friend both have the same first name.  He’ll think I made one just for him. 

    My youngest son wants one too but I will have to come up with something different because…..ummm……..well let’s just say that he’s not the kind of kid that needs glass in his room.

    Carrie

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews