Faux Metal Tags

     

    I’ve been looking locally for a few  metal tags.  You know the ones on the front of a filing cabinet that holds a label?

    Like what’s on the front of this box…..

    Snap ’N Store Collapsible Index Card File Box Holds 1100 4 x 6 Cards, Black

    After striking out at a few local stores….. 

    I only have a Wal-Mart and a few mom n’ pop hardware stores in town… so I didn’t look very hard. 

    I’m sure all you creative ladies could tell me exactly where to find these metal tags!

    I decide to try and make my own “Faux Metal Tag”.

    I used my Cricut machine to cut out a look-a-like tag on chipboard.  {I found my  piece of chipboard from out of a pack of photo ink-jet printing paper.  It was  glossy white on one side}  Now if you don’t have a Cricut machine I’m sure you could run a heavy card stock paper through your printer and cut it out manually. 

    Cricut info:

    Blade:  normal blade set at 5, Pressure: high  Speed: low  Multi cut: 3

    Faux Metal Tag

    To make the tag appear more 3D, I cut out a small chipboard rectangle and glued {Gorilla Super Glue} it on top of the opening.

    A few thoughts when working with chipboard: 

    Alright, this was the first time I have ever cut chipboard from my machine and I learned a few things.  Yes, the normal blade can cut a thin piece of chipboard! I might not have gotten great results if the design was more detailed and curvier.  Notice the “screw” holes are oval instead of the intended circle shape.  Not a big deal as I figured I will be covering them up. 

    Place the white glossy side UP on the cutting mat.

    Don’t cut run the multi cut more times that necessary.  It might just be me, but I thought it produced frayed edges.

    Sand around all the cut edges.  Not sure if this is entirely necessary but the perfectionist in me needed to do this step.

    Faux Metal Tag version 1

    I tried a few different finishing techniques.  For the “Faux Metal Tag” above I use a glue stick , silver embossing powder, and my embossing heat tool. 

    Faux Metal Tag Version 2

     For this “Faux Metal Tag” above I spray painted the tag silver and applied a coat of Liquid Diamond. {Sorry this photo doesn’t really show off the Liquid Diamond shine that it gives this tag!} 

    Both techniques gave a bit of  WEIGHT to the tag.

    Please come back and find out what I’m creating using my “Faux Metal Tag”!

    Have a lovely weekend,

    Carrie

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews