Pottery Barn Inspired Bed

    Are you ready for the BIG reveal?!?!?!  I know I’ve been talking about this for sometime now and NOW you can see what all the fuss has been about!

    It all started when I saw this gorgeous bed set from Pottery Barn

    Hudson Bed, Full, Mahogany stain

    {via PB}

    Now this beautiful bed cost $1599. plus $125. for shipping.  Ouch!

    With this PB picture and a print out of a design from Ana’s Knock~Off~Woods, I went knocking on my father’s workshop door!

    So for about 3 months I got to work side-by-side with my dad.  Pretty much taking over more than half of his workshop!  These babies are quite large and bulky….part of the reason I love them so much.

    ******************************

    We kind of made up our own design as we went long.  I’m going to give the “cliffs note” version of how this headboard set came to life.

    We starting with the headboard~  Cut a sheet of MDF board the width of the mattress (the boys’ both have full size mattresses) and the length is determined by how high you want it to extend beyond the bed.  Because know one will see the board behind the bed our board starts at the bottom of the box spring.  On top of the MDF board lie 2 picture frames butted up together made from 1x4 select pine. 

    The post were also made from MDF.  My father informed me that these post won’t split, twist, or shrink unlike that of a solid 4x4 post.  Sold! Say no more.  Attach the post to the picture frame MDF board.

    To dress up the top, a 2x8 is cut to fit just beyond the post.  Crown molding was added to the under side of the 2x8.

    Know repeat with a shorter version for the foot board.

    There you go…… 3 months of work summed up in a few short paragraphs.

    PB Hudson Bed knock-Off PB Inspired Head  board

    Full size PB Inspired Bed

    Bedding:  sheets are from Target, Quit and Pillow Sham’s are from The Land of Nod

    Benjamin Moore Polo Blue Headboard

    Benjamin Moore Paint (Polo Blue)

    Much better than that country blue I had before!

    PB Inspired Footboard

    The foot board is just a mini version of the headboard with one adjustment,  the top board is a 2x10 instead of 2x8.  This allowed an over hang on each side of the foot board.  See in the photo below.

    MDF Post

    Oh, and don’t forget the side rails!  These are 2x10’s.  The original thinking was to have the box spring set entirely behind the 2x10 as well as about an inch of the mattress so that the mattress wouldn’t be able to slide around.   However, after looking at other bed sets and to get the necessary height, the box spring ended up setting about an inch above the 2x10.  (know you see why it took 3 months??????  We I kept changing the direction of design.  Yes my dad is a patient man.) 

    To cover up the exposed box spring, I wrapped the box spring with the bed shirt material so that it covered without showing under the side rails.

    Oh and another thing, there are cleats attached to the inside of the side rails, where slats run horizontally to hold the box spring and mattress in place.

    Land of Nod Red & White comforter

    I didn’t notice this stitching detail when I order the quilt and pillow shams!

    PB Inspired

    Well…. I have to say… it was worth 3 months!  I love how it turned out and I hope these photos will show how truly beautiful this bed set is.

    My Final Cost: 

    {drum roll please}

    $175.54

    (this includes the wood, MDF, 2- Gorilla wood glue, primer, paint, rollers, and SC sales tax)

    (had on hand ~ screws, nails, sand paper, metal brackets to attach side rails, and all tools needed)

    Now just incase you haven’t been following…..

    My father and I made 2 of these headboard sets!  I’ll be revealing my teenage son’s headboard along with his NEW room, SOON.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~

    Click here to find out more information on the PB Inspired Beds

     

     

     

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews