Painting Perfect Stripes

    A little known fact about me and my painting skills….. I never use painters tape.   Okay never is a strong word.  

    It makes the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up when you work so hard painting your walls only to find out that the paint has seeped  under the tape. 

    Is it just me?  It didn’t matter what brand of tape or how hard I pressed.  Until now……

    In my oldest son’s bedroom, I want to paint a 6 foot wide stripe on one wall.  As much as I hate to admit it, I needed to use painter’s tape to achieve a straight line. 

    I started by measuring out where to put my vertical lines,  lightly pencil a straight  line from floor to ceiling, and applied the painter’s tape just outside of pencil mark.

    Crisp Lines with Painters Tape

    I waited 48 hours for the main wall paint to cure before using the painter’s tape.  I did see a tape at the Sherwin William’s paint store advertised that it could be used in under 24 hours, but I don’t think they factored in  this SC humidity!

    Credit Card to adhere painters tape

    Press down the edges of the tape with a unverified “VISA” gift card.

    cutting in free handed

    Because I have a touch of OPD (Obsessive-Perfectionist Disorder)  {okay,  I just had to sing it   “OPD yeah you know me”} 

    I didn’t tape the ceiling or the baseboard.  Just me and the brush!

    Glaze

    Here’s the secret to making painter’s tape work like it’s suppose to.   GLAZE.    I would have preferred to use translucent glaze, but couldn’t locate mine and ended up using gold metallic.

    Glaze to prevent seepage

    Only a small amount is needed to create a “SEAL” along the edge of the tape. 

    Ahhh yes, no more weeping paint under the tape. 

    The glaze said it was workable up to 30 minutes, so I waited 31!

    Lime Green Accent Stripe

    WOW.  That’s a bright color!  Go ahead and paint two coats.

    1 hour to remove painters tape

    Wait an hour to before removing the tape.  Grab one end,  hold your breath…., and pull the tape at a 90 degree angle.

    Crisp Painted Lines

    Notice the tiny amount of glaze that seeped under the tape? 

    If I used translucent glaze, you won’t be able to see anything but if this was lime green paint seeping…… it would have looked horrible! 

    Perfectly Painted Lines

     Perfectly Painted Straight Lines.

    Carrie

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews