PB Inspired Bed Assembly

    Before assembling my teenage son’s PB Inspired Bed Set I snapped some photographs. 

    I hope this will help answer some of the questions that I’ve had from my younger son’s bed

    Both bed sets are made for a full size bed but can easily be adjusted to fit a queen size bed.

    PB Inspired Bed Frame

    These headboards are inspired by the “Hudson Collection” from Pottery Barn.  We {my father and I} used the measurements provided in the catalog to determine the height and for the width we measure the mattress.    The MDF board in the center is cut to the width of the full size mattress.  The width of the 4x4 post is what allows the bed to expand to a queen size.

    PB Inspired Headboard

    On top of the MDF board, we made, glued, and nailed two picture frames.  Next attach the 4x4 post to the sides with glue and nails.  The post and the MDF board are of the same height.  A 2x8 board sets on top.  Lastly we add molding to the front and a small piece to the sides just under the 2x8 top board.

    ***I had numerous questions about the 4x4 post made of MDF!  I plan on doing another post showing how easy these are to make.

    PB Inspired Bed Frame Brackets

    To attach the side rails (2x10 boards) to headboard and footboard we used an “L” bracket on my youngest son’s bed.  However, this left a small gap between the boards.  So when assembling my teenager son’s bed, we tried a combination of two brackets.  This worked perfectly!  Not only did it get rid of the gap……this bed is incredibly strong and sturdy!!! A good thing for young boys :D

    PB Inspired Bed Frame Assembly 

    Attached to each of the side rails is a small cleat (about 1x2) and running horizontally from cleat to cleat is a 1x3 board.  We used five 1x3 boards across and screwed in place.  These boards are very inexpensive cuts of wood.  I think they were less that a dollar each.

    PB Inspired Back of Footboard

    The footboard is made the same way as the headboard except……

    • obviously the overall height is smaller
    • the top board is a 2x10 (instead of the 2x8) – this allowed the top board to hang over just a bit on both sides
    • we also added a small piece of molding to the back board of the footboard- this gave added support as well as being decorative

    Molding Cut too Short 

    And the whole project would have taken less time if my father didn’t have to keep fixing my mistakes….. lol

    “Measure TWICE and cut ONCE”

    Honestly my father did such a great job fixing this boo~boo of mine that I had a hard time getting a photograph to show it!

    I hope that clears a lot of questions and please come back to see how to make your own 4x4 post!

    Please don’t forget to enter the Redi Shade Simple Fit Giveaway

    Giveaway ends September 28th at 10:00 (est)

    Carrie

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews