Crate & Barrel Knock Off Bookcase

    I’m still in the progress of remolding my oldest son’s bedroom.  He’s in need of nightstands to go with his new bed set.   He spotted a nightstand he liked in the Crate & Barrel catalog.  The only thing…. the one’s he has his eye on are priced at $199.  Ouch!!!   I can make one for half the price but I’m wondering if there is  another way????  I’m keeping my options open for now and will definitely keep you posted on what I come up with. 

    But enough dittle dattle……

    While flipping through that very same catalog that my son was looking at, I found these sharp looking bookcases.  Of course my son turns to me and says, “Can we replace the bookcases in my room for these ones?”   Yeah sure.  At $399.  let’s do a whole wall of them.  Right?!?!?

    IMG

    You know I looked at them at say….. “I could make them!”

    My son already had two cheap laminate bookcase in his room.  With a little wood, molding, and paint,  I knew I could make them look just like the ones in the catalog. 

    What do you think?

                     Before                                                               After

    cheap-laminate-bookcase

    Crate-and-Barrel-Knock-off-Bookcase

    The bookcase had 5 shelves but I opted to just use 4.

    Cheap Bookcase Makeover

    My son had these bookcases in his room for about ten years.  Before the bookcases sat separated from each other.  I removed one shelf and nailed in between the two bookcases to create a desk and added a board and molding that stretched across the entire top to dress it up.

    Double Crate & Barrel knock off bookcases

    This time around we decided to push the two bookcases together.

    Now to decorate and organize! 

    Dressing up cheap bookcase

     

    The total cost to revamp my son’s Wal-Mart cheap laminate shelves was…..

    {insert drum roll please}

    $38.00

    I really want to create a tutorial to show everyone just how easy it was to transform a cheap bookcase into something that looks like you spent $399!   I created this downloadable PDF that could be printed off and taken to the hardware store and then straight to the workshop.

     

    Crate & Barrel Knock Off Bookcase

     

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews