Mercury Glass Tips

    After working all weekend, I have so may things that needed to get done today.  That means crafting, decorating, and blogging come are way down on the To-Do list. 

    I’m an adult…. why can’t I just do what I want to do???  wha wha wha

    Well there’s dirty dishes in the sink, laundry that needs to switched around, and dogs waiting to be fed but I stopped for about half an hour to work on some DIY Mercury Glass.

    Mercury Glass Tips

    I’m not going to do a tutorial because you can find several great ones on here in bloggy world, but I will share with you a few things I learned.

    Krylon Looking Glass Spray Paint

    First of all you need this paint… 

    Krylon Looking Glass 

    Don’t look in the home improvement stores or Wal-Mart.  The only place I found this tiny little spray paint is at a craft store.  Hobby Lobby to be exact (ask me how I know. ha ha).  It’s expensive.  $12. for a 6oz. can!  Bring a coupon with you to soften the blow.

    DIY Mercury Glass

    Mercury Glass Tips:

    • Use a fine mist of  50/50 vinegar and water mix in a spray bottle.
    • Shake the can really well.  2 minutes before starting and keep shaking in between coats.
    • Apply in super thin coats.  This paint is thin and will run easily.  Especially when mixed with the vinegar and water solution.
    • Allow the coats to dry in between.
    • Think layers when trying to recreate this look.
    • If you spay too heavily in one area, use a little more vinegar/water then rub with pad of your finger (avoid using your fingernail).  The vinegar solution will eat through the paint off. 
    • This paint is very toxic smelling.  Only use outdoors or in a well vented room.
    • The fine spray will leave little holes in the paint and rubbing with the pad of your finger will give you a larger chippier  (best word to describe)  look.  I like the combination of the two techniques.

     

    Mercury Glass

    This Mercury Glass Vase is going into my son’s room.  He plans on storing his loose coins inside.  Therefor,  I left the bottom a solid mercury and then tapering off at the top.  My hope is that the coins will not show through. 

    You can’t really mess this up.  Remember the vinegar solution if you get into trouble.  I had a run in my paint and used the vinegar solution to remove it and then reapplied paint in that area!

    I can see this being huge for Christmas decorating and  expect to see a lot of creative ways to use the Looking Glass spray paint

    Carrie

     

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews