DIY Wooden Letters

    Many of you wondered….. why in the world would I need to know how to create a multi-page printout!?!?! (click  to see how to print an image across multiple pages)

    Well my friends, you’ll need to create a pattern if you want to make your very own Dillard’s inspired wooden letters. 

    • Select a font for your letter. {I used Adobe Hebrew}
    • Create a JPG file of your letter.  I used Photoshop. ***Tip:  Save on ink by just outlining the letter or use a light gray.
    • Print out your letter using www.blockposters.com. 

    Multiple Page Letter Printout

    • Cut out the paper template.
    • Trace letter on a piece of wood.  I actually used a spray adhesive to stick the template on the wood.  

    *I wanted my letters to stand up on their own and have some weight so I used a 2” thick piece of wood.  Because the letters were larger than one single piece of wood that I had on hand, I had to cut the pattern into 2 or 3 pieces. (see photo above for cuts and pieces)

    DIY Wooden Letters

    • Cut the letter pieces out using a jigsaw or a band saw.
    • Sand edges and corners smooth and straight with a coarse sand paper.
    • Glue the pieces together with a good wood glue (like Gorilla Glue) and hold together with clamps.  Allow the glue to dry.

    DIY Wood Letter cut outs

    • Scrap any dry glue that squished out of the seams.

    Cutting Wooden letters

    • Optional:  Use a round-over router bit to finish the edges.
    • Finish sanding with 220 sand paper. 
    • Spackle any imperfections or knots.
    • Prime and paint.

    I couldn’t help myself…. 

    These were fairly easy to make so I made a few.

    Ballard Wood letter Knock off

     Here’s one for my youngest son’s room painted in metallic silver.

    (waiting to be hung up)

    Ballard Inspired Wooden Letters

    My oldest son’s initials painted in white.  The A is about 24” and the R is around 15”!  I wanted to distress these a bit and add a dry brush of black paint but my son disapproved.  He likes them a solid white.

    DIY Letter cut outs

    And one more for me to use as I wish.

    I almost purchased a few of these from Ballard’s for $25.  I’m so glad I tried to make them myself because they cost me ZERO to make.  I had the left over wood from other projects (bed and frames), printed my own pattern instead of using Kinko’s, and used paint that I had on hand!

    I hope you’ll try to make your own DIY wooden letters Thumbs up

    So many ideas you could do with these letters.  How about “JOY” for the holidays?  Not to mention the numerous ways you could paint them!!!

    Carrie

     

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews