Modern Boy’s Closet

    As I mentioned before, my teenage son has the smallest closet of everyone in our house.  It measures just under 3 and half feet by 5 feet.  However, we have 9 foot ceilings on the second floor!  As Christopher Lowell would says, “If you can’t build out, build up!” 

    And that is exactly what I did.

    Boy's-Closet-MDF-Shelving-Unit

    My son’s BEFORE closet was a complete waste of space!  Image 2 crappy wired shelves and plain builder’s white paint included with child’s hand writing over the lower walls.  It was bad!  Ohhh and the top shelf was bent…. from when my son tried to store away some of his heavy trophies. {Now I remember why I didn’t take a before photograph!?!?!}

    Coset Rod and BracketAfter everything was removed and the walls, ceiling, and base molding were painted,  we {my son and I} hung two galvanized bars.  The top bar is for shirts and the bottom is for pants and shorts.  We measured the longest shirt and add a few inches for growth to determine the spacing between the two metal bars.

    WARNING:  You can’t paint galvanized metal!  After applying a coat of paint and wondering why it wasn’t drying in our 90+ degree weather????  I read the back of the spray can!  Go figure… you can’t paint galvanized metal.  At least the can of spray paint that I had purchased.  Well enough, I was going for that lofty urban look any ways.

    Opps Closet Bracket

    Opps!!!  I missed this one!  My OCD wished this side of the bracket was on the other wall where it would have been hidden and the nice round bracket was on the visible side.  {see shirt  rod for the correct bracket}

    I should mention here that the walls are painted the same color as the bedroom and the shelves and shelving units are two shades darker than the wall.  I had Sherwin Williams color match “adagio”  and  “rocky coast” from Benjamin Moore Paints.

    MDF Closet Shelves

    Two MDF shelves were cut and hung.   Simple strips of boards {left over from my son’s PB Inspired Bed} were used as brackets for the shelving.  A piece of molding is added to the front of the shelves to complete the look. 

     

    On to the shelving units! 

    I designed these units to be “floating” on the wall.  The lower unit hangs just above the base molding and the upper unit is hung near the ceiling.   I purposely left a space in between the two units just at my son’s height for  ……… a mirror. 

    I jokingly tell him we’ll never be able to get him out his closet ‘cause he’ll be looking at himself all the time.  ha ha

    Organized-Boy's-Closet

    {The Lower Unit}

    We do not own a single dresser!  These shelving units take the place of any need for a dresser.

    The lower shoe shelves are 7 inches apart and the top shelves are about 15 inches.  I purchased the black metal bins several months ago from Target.  

    measures: 32” W x 50”H x 11”D

    Lower-MDF-Closet-Shelving-Unit

     

    {The Upper Unit}

    The whole reason for redoing the closet….. “the hats”!!!  Just kidding but I let my son think that that’s the reason. LOL

    Again there are three hat shelves at 7” apart and one larger shelf at the top.  I would need a ladder if this was my closet but for my much taller than me son, this is a perfect height for him.

    measures: 32” W x 34”H x 11”D

    Upper-MDF-Shelving-Unit

    {The Mirror}

    Every teenager needs a mirror.  And if this shelving unit is to act as a dresser then it’s only fitting that a mirror sets between the two.  I can only see the top of my head in this mirror because I’m too short! 

    Boys Modern Closet

     {The Details}

    There is about 6” between the right side of the shelving and the light switch.  The unit is only 11” in depth and passes the door frame by about an inch.  On the left side, the clothes have plenty of room to hang.  Don’t you love it when your calculations come out right?

    Closet Light Switch

    Tight shot of the Unit Shelves

    {The hangers}

    I ordered the black slim velvet hangers from Amazon.  I love them.  They are so slim and they glide extremely easy! I also ordered heaver velvet hangers for the pants and the sweatshirts but they haven’t arrived yet :( {they’ll be on my door step the day after I post this}  UPDATEI was right!  The rest of the hangers arrived the very next day.  I have updated some of the photos :D

    ****************************

    Will this closet remain this organized?  Yep!  Both my teenagers do a great job at keeping their rooms clean.  Was it always like that?  Heck NO!  I promise you if you, as a parent, stay strong on the fight of clutter and disarray….. YOU CAN WIN!!! :D

    Closet Mirror

    I’m thinkin’ this is a great spot for my son to set his watch, coins, and other small items.  In fact, a nice silver engraved tray look awesome setting on this shelf!  What a great gift idea!

    Blog-Party-Button

    Hope You enjoyed,

    Carrie

     

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews