A Peary Good Day

    I recently received 5 large bags of Pears!

    Pears

    I started our day off with a Half Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes {gradually working our way up to 100% whole wheat}  and Cinnamon Pear Pancake Topping!  One of the nice things about homeschooling is I can make sure my kids start their day off with a great breakfast. 

    Cinnamon Pear Topping: 

    Peel, core, and slice 4 pears.  In a bowl, cover pears with a  tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, a tablespoon of honey, and sprinkle of cinnamon.  Melt a teaspoon of butter in a sauté pan.  Add the pear mixture and cook until soften.  I also added a couple of tablespoons of water to the pan to help with the juices.    yummy!

    I was born and raised in upstate New York so there is only one thing I put on my pancakes…… MAPLE SYRUP!  I eat my pears on the side.

    Cinnamon-Pear-Topping

    After school was finished, I decided to can 3 of the large bags. 

    Aren’t they beautiful?

    Canned-Pears

    I’ve never canned pears before,  so I got a few tips from the lovely ladies that shared the pears with me.    Pretty straight forward:  Peel, core, and slice the fruit.  Cook fruit in a simple sugar.  {I kept my liquid light on the sugar}   Place fruit in a hot clean jar and process jar for 20 minutes in boiling water. 

    How did you get your canned pears that color?

    Glad you asked…… “RED HOTS”

    Yeah you read that right.  One of the ladies suggested adding Red Hot candies to the the simple sugar bath to add a touch of cinnamon flavor.  Give it a try. 

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    If you know me well {like my mother knows me}  you’ll know that I am spending the rest of the day {and night} cleaning my kitchen.  I am a messy cook.  Everything…everywhere.  I should have my mother do a guest blog about the time I stayed with my parents in Florida and decided to make homemade doughnuts, for the first time, while they where out for the day.   I’ll never forget her expression nor the way her kitchen looked!

    Carrie 

     

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews