Shadow Box Frame Tutorial Part 1

    I am at it again…..

    Another frame.  But with a twist.  This time I’m standing the wood on it’s side and creating a shadow box frame.  If you want to create a standard frame the basic process is the same.

    uneven-pine-boards-for-shadow-box-frame

    I’m using pine boards that were left over from my sons’ PB Inspired Beds. Click here and here.  Because I already had the material this frame will be cost me nothing to make!  Love that ;P

    Let’s make a frame.

    Figure out the size of the photo/art your making your frame for.  Mine photograph measures 24x36.

    First thing is to make sure the boards are even, both in thickness and widthwise.  As you can see in my above photo, my boards are not.

    *I haven’t cut my boards to size yet.  I just know that I have 4 boards that I can get 2-24” and 2-36” cuts from.  I’ll cut them once there all even.

    Planing-pine-boards-for-shadow-box-frame 

    With this planer, I stood the boards on their side and ran them through several times on each side to even the boards width. 

    *This could also be done by ripping a board on a table saw.

    Sanding-pine-boards-for-Shadow-Box-frame

    Next I ran the boards through this sander on the wide flat side.  Repeat for both sides of each board.   Now all the boards are of the same thickness and width.  This is so important if you want your 45 degree angles to come out PERFECT45-degree-cuts-on-Table-saw

    Now for the 45 degree cuts.  I’m using a table saw with a jig that my dad made.  This photo doesn’t show it but the blade is raised up high enough to cut the board standing on it’s side,  basically at it’s highest position.

    *You could use a table saw, a chop saw, or even a miter saw to make your 45 degree cuts.  

    I always make pencil line on my boards before making 45 degree cuts in the direction that the cut needs to be made.  I always remember that the angle goes from narrow on the inside to wide on the outside.

    Before you make your cuts…..

    you must make the inside dimension of the  frame smaller than your photo/artwork.  If I made the frame to measure 24x36,  I wouldn’t be able to mount the photograph to the frame.  It would fall straight through the frame. 

    I decided that I would make the frame overlap each side by 3/8" of an inch on each side.  (3/8” + 3/8” = 3/4”) Therefore,  my overall inside measurements of the frame needs to be  3/4 inches smaller both horizontally and vertically.  My inside frame dimension will be 23 1/4 by 35 1/4 inches. dry-fit-shadow-box-frame

    Lay out all the boards to create a dry fit,  make sure everything lines up, and make any necessary adjustments. 

    Everything should fit together nicely. Number or label the sides but don’t glue together yet!

    making-shadow-box-frame

    Using this tool (the name escapes me) to create a recessed ledge on the inside bottom of the frame for the glass and photo mount.

    I’m hoping not to loose anyone here… math is required.

    I first adjust the guide (long silver thing above the blade) to cut 3/8th  inch.  Next I adjust the blade height.  I’ll start by removing an 1/8th inch and continue to raise the blade by 1/8” until the cut is about 1/2” deep.   This will provide me enough room for the glass, photograph, and a mount board to set inside the frame.

    fitting-frame-for-glass-and-mount-board

    I drew a line on the inside bottom of each board to remind me which side I was cutting!  {see the red mark}  That would be bad if I cut on the outside of one board. 

    *You could also create this ledge using a table saw, a router bit, or…..  add small piece of molding to the top and let it over hang.   I’m learning that there is more than one way  to skin a cat  to work with wood.

     

    {Assembling a Photo Frame}

    taping-frame-corner 

    Step 1:  Place a piece of masking tape on the outside corner as pictured above. (I should have used a wider piece of masking tape)  Lay the board down flat with sticky side of the masking tape facing upwards.

    framing-corner-with-tape

    Step 2:  Line up the next side and press down on the masking tape.   See how nice the corners match? 

    Gorillia-wood-glue

    Step 3:  Raise up one board to check the fit.  Using a good wood glue, (my favorite being Gorilla Glue) apply glue to both ends.

    glue-together-shadow-box-frame

    Step 4:  Raise up one side and press corners together.  See the glue squishing out?  That’s a good thing!   Now repeat for the other 3 corners.  Apply more masking tape if needed.  Allow the glue to dry for an hour or two.

    To be continued……

    Carrie

     

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews