Backdoor Wreath

    Mossy Monogram Wreath

    I figured it was time to update the backdoor wreath from my winter Fresh Cedar Monogram Wreath to a Mossy Spring Wreath.

     mossy-letter

    I started by removing the wire from around the letter form and removing the cedar clippings.  I would have loved to use sheet moss (because it’s cleaner, greener, and just easier to use) however, sheet moss is pretty expensive. (or I’m just cheap?!?!) 

    I found a bag of moss that looked pretty good at Wal-Mart for around $2 a bag.  It took just over one bag and several glue sticks to cover the letter.   What a bargain! 

    I don’t know about sheet moss, but the moss that I use, every time I moved it bits would fall off.  In order to prevent me sweeping the floor every time someone opened and closed the door,  I applied a quick over-spray of glue adhesive and then pressed down.  Once it’s dry it won’t be sticky.  I even thought about using hairspray!  But I use a very light weight hairspray…. if only I had something like Aqua-Net hairspray!!  Nothing can get through that stuff!  Remember the 80’s and big hair Do’s???  ha ha

    Can you see the problem?   It’s kind of hard to  see the mossy letter against the black door. 

    Spring Moss Letter

    In the prop shop (aka “the attic”), I dug around and found this old chipped up gold frame.   I know…. If you have read Dittle Dattle for any length of time you know I am NOT a fan of the color blue.  {I will explain the color later this week}  But technically it’s not IN my house…. Right?  lol

     Spring Framed Mossy letter

    I snagged a butterfly off the front door Wreath.

    Framed Letter Wreath

    I used a ribbon covered wire to hang the wreath.  I’m not sure how others have addressed the problem of having a frame swing from side~to~side when the door in opened or closed, but I used a small dab of low-temp glue to hold it place.  I thought about two-sided tape but worried that it would pull off the paint.   The low-temp glue might also pull of the paint.  I guess I’ll find out the next time I change the wreath!

    Adding color to mossy letter Wreath

    The stark white background bothers me a bit.  I really wanted to add some chicken wire over the white background for add texture, but couldn’t find my stash.  I pulled out some scrapbook paper and slipped it in the back just to see if a little color and pattern would help.  What do you think?  Leave it alone or add some color?

    PS.  I have had a few request about more information on my font notebook.  I will be sharing a post soon on that.  Thanks for the interest.

    Carrie

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews