TV Stand and Hiding Those Wires!

    Flat-Screen-TV-Wire-Cover

    I have just a few things left on my to-do list to completing my son’s bedroom.  For this wall, I thought about building a TV stand, however, I spotted this one at a reasonable price from the CSN Store.  It’s not a high quality stand but it is sturdy and provides enough storage for  my son. 

    Black-Tv-stand

    In little over an hour my son and I had this stand put together. 

    Black-tv-stand-CSN-Stores

    Lots of DVD storage on each ends.

    Black-Flat-screen-tv-stand-CSN-Store

    The TV stand looks small in this photograph but it is 44” long. 

    What to do about those wires?

    My original thought was to have the Hubby install another outlet behind the TV, but that would require me to wait on him to finish up this project. Uggg!  (in his defense, he’s been pretty busy fixing all the things that I have broken around the house lately like the dryer and the shower head.  Thank you sweetie.) So on to plan B.

    Hiding-TV-cords-with-a-frame

    My thought…..

    Let’s build a frame to cover those wires!  {I got to thinkin’ while building this frame that one could easily use a stretched canvas to do the same thing!}  Using left over material from other projects in his room…. another totally FREE project!  LOVE it.

    Flat-screen-tv-cord-hider-frame

    The materials used:  Utility board (left over from the back of the bookcases) and cheap strips of wood (left over from the PB knock-off bed).    I cut the strips of wood to measure  the perimeter of the utility board and glued them to the back.  I only have two claps at my house! So I had to use found objects as weight until the glue dried. 

    I can’t believe I didn’t take a photo of this but at the bottom of the frame I cut the strip of wood in two so that I could leave a five inch gap where the TV cords will come out at the bottom.

    Flat-screen-tv-hiding-cords

    I had to figure out and mark where the flat screen TV mount will go and then cut it out with a jigsaw.  Next paint the entire frame black.

    Entertainment-flat-screen-tv-hiding-cords

    Hanging the frame to the wall with an air-nailer. (Thanks Dad.  I know….It’s been almost a year since I barrowed it from you! But whose keeping track?) The frame sits about a half inch below the TV stand.

    Flat-screen-code-hide-away

    Okay…. My cut lines are not square but no one will ever see them, except you……. and you wouldn’t tell anyone that I can’t cut a straight line.  Would you?

    Mount-for-Flat-screen-tv-&-hiding-cords

    I added a small strip of wood between the wall and the frame, just in front of a wall stud. 

    mounting-flat-screen-tv-and-hiding-cords

    Place the TV mount on the strip of wood so that the mount is now raised and is flush with the frame.   Now all that’s left is to drop down the TV cords through the back of the frame hole,  mount the TV, and plug in the TV! 

    Black-Flat-Screen-TV-stand-DIY

    Look!  Now more exposed cords.  And I did all myself! (okay, the boys help hold the level while I nailed the frame to the wall… big helpers.  he he)

    DIY-Flat-Screen-Wire-Cover-Frame

    I could add some molding around the edge and I may, if I find something  simple with clean lines.

    Teen-Boy's-Bedroom-accessories

    Here are some accessories that I found at Hobby Lobby.  It’s not really what I was looking for. 

    My son’s reaction when I brought them home…. “what are they?” 

    I guess I will keep looking, but for $6 each I couldn’t pass them up!

    So are you wondering……Why not just place the TV on the stand and save yourself some time?

    Well, the answer to that question is…..My son and his friend are in their second month of P90X!  They work out nightly, in his bedroom, and I needed to keep the TV at a comfortable workout height.  Teenage boys and their bodies….  they are too funny!

    Thank goodness for nicer weather.  Now I can open up the windows and air out his room!  Stinky smelly boys.

    I try not to talk about my kiddos on a personal level {Hey, this blog is Mom’s domain!  NO KIDS ALLOWED! ha ha}  but I must brag on my son just a bit… My oldest son is the featured MX rider of the month for Factory 987! Check it out.

    Factory 987

    Factory 987 MX Photo of the Month - Austin Root

    Pretty cool pix!  Love when he wears bright riding gear so that I can easily spot him while he’s on the track.  Yes, this is how I spend most of my weekends!

    Carrie

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews