The Controversial Horchow Table Setting

    This post will make more sense if you go HERE first and read the 50+ comments that were left. That post and the comments are the reason I've written this post today. Reading this post first would be a bit like reading the ending of a story with knowing the beginning. :)


    Questions about the Horchow table setting:

    A few days ago, I posted this picture below. It was in a Horchow catalog I received in the mail. I spotted three things that appeared to be not quite right and I ask you if you noticed anything. YES, you did! Now, as you know, I don't always follow the rules about setting a table, but I couldn't resist showing you that even Horchow let's things slide sometimes. Gives us all permission to break the rules every now and then. ;)



    You guys left some great comments and you were pretty passionate about your beliefs on how a table should be set. I'll share what I noticed and try to address some of the questions/comments y'all had.


    The 3 things I noticed were:

    1. The bread plate is on the wrong side. Someone mentioned it could be the salad plate and I think that might be correct. This pattern does have fairly small salad plates and the pattern showing on the plate that most of us thought was the bread plate, is the one you normally see on the salad plate. So, if it's the salad plate, what is it doing up there crowding out the glass? Obviously, they just wanted to put it somewhere on the table so you could see it in the ad. But it looks like a badly placed bread plate, doesn't it?

    In case you are wondering, the bread plate always goes on the left side as shown in this diagram I found at Lifetime Brands...the makers of Mikasa and other fine dinnerware.

    The other things I noticed were:

    2: The napkin is folded/placed incorrectly. Almost everything I've ever read states the fold should be to the left side and the open corners should all be at the lower right side closest to the forks. That's done because it's makes it easier for your dinner guests to open it. Well, at least that's what I've read. Personally, I do think it looks nice/cleaner to have it that way. Perhaps they placed it this way to show off the scalloped edge of the napkin a little better.




    3. And finally, I've always read it's best to not place your flatware on top of the napkin. Why? The reason given was because it puts your guests in an awkward position of having to lift the flatware to get to their napkin. They have to re-position the flatware, hopefully getting it back as it goes. They might be embarrassed if they aren't sure how it goes or if they accidentally drop a fork onto the floor in the process of trying to get the napkin out from under it. One article online said you want flatware and napkins to be placed so they require the "least amount of movement" as possible. (That's why having the open edges of the napkin to the inside of the plate makes it easiest for your guests to grasp the edges and open it and place it in their lap.)

    Regarding placing flatware on the napkin, I think the rules on this have relaxed somewhat because several of you found sites that said it's okay to do that. The fact that they even address the topic tells me it is still a controversial subject.

    Here's basically what I think...then you will have to decide for yourself. :) Most of the rules/information written for dining are written for "formal" dinners...something most of us rarely host. I think if it's just you and your family or good friends and it's just a casual dinner, go right ahead and place the flatware atop the napkin, if you wish. If it's a formal dinner or you're hosting a special dinner party, I'd avoid doing it. But that's just my opinion...please do whatever makes you happy. :)


    Soup Spoon: Where is it?
    You guys noticed something else...there's a soup bowl, but where's the soup spoon?



    I was wondering if this flatware just didn't come with a tablespoon, but I'm pretty sure it did. Most of the flatware sets Neiman Marcus and Horchow carry include tablespoons/soup spoons. Maybe they were trying to give the place setting a balanced look and just left it off intentionally. Or, maybe it wasn't intentional. Ummm, not sure. Good eye for noticing that! Bill noticed something odd is going on with the place setting closest to the turkey. Did they not have enough dinner plates? Almost looks like they blurred it on purpose. Something isn't quite right with that place setting.

    Stemware placement:
    Several folks mentioned the goblet is a bit too far over to the left. I think that's because they crammed the salad plate in on the right. Salad plates definitely do not go there. But it's an ad trying to sell china.




    Centerpiece:
    Let's talk about the centerpiece. I'll share what I have read and give you my opinion...then you can decide what works for you. Sound good?




    I have read, both online and in books, that it's okay to use a grand, tall centerpiece on your dinner table. When you and your guests are about to sit down to dinner, you just remove the tall portion of the centerpiece (like a bouquet of flowers) and place it on the sideboard or any other place you'd like to set it. Obviously, if your centerpiece is too fragile or too "something" to be able to move it, then you will need to keep your centerpiece low (when you are creating it) so it will not impede the view of those at the table.

    I think it would be sad if we could never create a large centerpiece for a table? I say, go for it! Create gorgeous, tall floral bouquets or tall centerpieces. Do whatever your heart desires. Your guests will arrive and feel completely spoiled that you created this wonderful table for them. They will feel so special and will know the night is going to be one they will always remember, starting with your amazing centerpiece.

    When it comes time to sit down to dinner, simply move the large centerpiece to the sideboard or to the living room to enjoy later. Of course, if it's a buffet and no one will be sitting at the table...you can go big, bold and beautiful and worry not.


    Gravy:

    Y'all asked...where's the mashed potatoes for the gravy? That tickled me because in our family, we always have gravy at Thanksgiving and Christmas but never eat mashed potatoes at either of those meals.

    Our gravy gets drizzled over the slices of turkey (once it's on our plates) and often across the dressing...which is also cut into squares as opposed to scooped out. Now I do love gravy on mashed potatoes, but we just don't normally have that with our Thanksgiving/Christmas meal. Not sure why...maybe I should add that to the menu. :)


    The Ad:
    I'm sure when Horchow created this ad, they created it with one thing in mind...to sell the china. That's probably why they placed the soup bowl on the table along with the other dishes that everyone mentioned in the comments wouldn't be out when the soup hasn't been eaten, yet. Or maybe the soup has been eaten and that's why the bowls are empty. ;)



    I think it's very telling that you guys overall in your comments felt this ad did NOT sell the china well. I adore this pattern, but this ad wouldn't have sold me on it, either. I just couldn't get past that dark blue tablecloth and the very plain, brown centerpiece. I don't think they bring out the beauty of this china.

    In any case, they (Horchow) wanted you to see all the serving pieces...so I'm sure that's why they have them all on the table...including salad plates where they don't really go. Wonder why they didn't place the bread plates on the table...guess there just wasn't enough room.

    What would you do?
    If I had created this table ad, to showcase the china, I would have used chargers, you know I love chargers. :) Of course, I would have used the dinner plates, salad plates and most likely the bread plates...because those pieces all come in the standard 5-pc place setting. I would have had a little sideboard or something showing the cups and saucers (also included in the placesetting.) And I definitely would have dressed the mantel with something pretty. :)

    I would have chosen a different centerpiece...I know that comes as no surprise. LOL I'd go with something "hunt themed" and with warm, rich, fall colors (reds, golds, deep greens) like pheasants or turkey or even deer...something similar to what I used HERE and HERE . Again, no surprise, there. Of course, there would be flatware and napkins.

    I'm sure the centerpiece is something Horchow sells, so that's why they used it. But wouldn't it be better to create one gorgeous table and sell LOTS of china, than to create a mediocre table filled with multiple products that the store sales, but that don't really enhance or show off the china at it's best. But then, what do I know...I didn't major in marketing or set design.

    I do like their choice in flatware and chargers with this pattern. And I kind of like the stemware...it sort of goes with the chargers. It's a little exotic...kind of fun. Something tells me I'd feel tortured setting tables for ads if you're forced to use just the few things the store sells. It would certainly test your skills! But, if you didn't, you'd probably have customers calling to buy that centerpiece, only to find out the store didn't sell it. Ummm, the dilemma. Guess you'd have to stick with fresh flowers or something folks would obviously know the store didn't sell.


    Your turn. How would you have set this table?
    What would you have done with the mantel? What pieces would you have used on the table? Do you like the dark blue tablecloth or do you think it detracts from the china? How would you set this table? I can't wait to hear!

    I've had several e-mails asking for a good book/source on setting a table. A great book is: The Art of the Table (A Complete Guide to Table Setting, Table Manners and Tableware) by Suzanne von Drachenfels. It's available on Amazon.



    Click HERE to find links to table settings so beautiful they will make Horchow jealous! :)

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews