Making Instant Snow for Dept. 56 Villages: Sharing A Video

    Hi Everyone!

    I noticed today, several new tablescapes have been added to Tablescape Thursday. As we continue enjoying them, I thought I'd answer some of the questions left in the comments yesterday about how I hid the cords in my Dept. 56 table setting.

    The Details:

    There's an electrical outlet near the table where I created the Dept. 56 tablescape. It's just under the big center window of the bay window in my kitchen. I used 6 churches in this tablescape and the cords/plugs to each church all piggy-back plug into each other. That's the way the electrical cords are designed to work with Dept. 56 lit houses.





    After I plugged all the lit houses into each other, I twist-tied the cords all together and plugged everything into a single extension cord. I ran the extension cord out across the back side of the table to the outlet under the window. Then I hid all the cords from the houses (the ones that were plugged into each other) under this white polyester stuffing behind the houses.




    Remember this church? It's the church where the bride and groom were married. :) You can just see them in the pic below.




    I ran the extension cord under the edge of the church. It was just to the left of where the bride and groom stood. Here's how it looked before I covered it with snow.




    Here's how it looked covered with snow...




    And here's the scene you saw...



    About the snow:
    The faux snow is "dehydrated snow" that I rehydrated.  It came in cans and I found it at Big Lots. You can only use this type of snow on glass surfaces since you add water to it to hydrate it. I also would not recommend using it with the Dept. 56 houses for a display that would be up several weeks because I'm not sure if it would be good for the houses to have damp snow up against them for several weeks.

    You have to mist/spray this snow every day or two with water or it will dry back out. It was fine for a tablescape for one evening, but I recommend the dry snow that you typically see used with Dept. 56 houses over this type of snow for a display that will be up longer than a few hours.

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews