A Homemade Christmas

    A few years back, my mother wanted to get together with extended family over the holidays but didn’t want to put a burden on people to buy a present and a way for people to really give a gift from the heart.  So she came up with the idea of a Homemade Christmas.  Everyone needed to create a gift that was homemade to some degree.  You could purchase materials or an object and then transform it or start from complete scratch.

    Who doesn’t love to receive a homemade gift that someone spent time making and creating just for you?!?!?

    There are so many wonderful presents that I have personally received and I hope that the recipients of my homemade gifts would say the same.  I gathered a few of my favorite gifts and ideas to share with you.   I lost all my photos original photos recently in a external hard drive crash but I’ve gathered a few so you could see. 

    S’more Camping Set

    Camping Gift

    smore gift set idea

    Smore Camping bag

    My family received this as a gift from my parents.  My dad hand turned the wooden handles for each of the skewers (so nice to have ones with long handles) and my mom stitched up the fun bag to hold all the skewers.  This gift set was complete with chocolate, marshmallows, and crackers.

    Holiday Blanket

    homemade Christmas blanket

    Here’s a gift I made for family members.  Fleece material edged with holiday plaid  and embroidered with different holiday motifs in the corner.  {okay, I usually make an extra gift for myself!!!}

    Wooden Bread Board and Knife

    wooden Bread board and knife

    This is another gift from my parents.   My dad cut the board and made the knife handle while my mother added a rooster motif to the other side of the board along with a loaf of homemade bread and jam!

     

    Hand Painted Candles

    painted candles

    I hand painted these candles!  No, I don’t paint.  Seriously.  My mother is a wonderful painter and was gracious enough to let me barrow her painting books.  I spent the month of November and December teaching myself how to paint in the evenings while sitting at the kitchen counter.   I did 5 different candle that year and it literally took me hours upon hours to finish one candle!  The great thing I found about painting on candles is that if you don’t like it you can wipe off the paint and start again.   I don’t recommend that these candles be burned as they are meant to be purely decorative.

    Sorry about the poor quality photo, I didn’t keep a candle for myself and I photograph this one at my mom’s house with my cell phone camera.  

    Other great homemade gift ideas:

    *Beautiful ceramic pie plate filled with homemade pie filling, crust ingredients, and towel/pot holder.

    *Homemade embroidered monogramed outdoor flag and flag stand

    *Collectors French Vanilla ice cream tin with homemade ice cream toppings (hot fudge and caramel) and an ice cream scoop.

    *Homemade wooden serving tray with hand-stitched coasters, mugs, and drink mixes.

    Carrie

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews