Fab Friend Friday- Fabric Labels {Gabriel’s Good Tidings}

    I loved the idea of creating your own fabric labels.  Even if you don’t sew, wouldn’t these fabric labels be great for labeling your children’s clothes!  Again, if you don’t sew, just use fabric glue.  Thanks for sharing Amy.

     

    When I started sewing for profit, I invested in some fabric labels with my name and websites.  I purchased them from an Etsy seller, but they took a long time to ship and were about 30 cents a label!  I know that doesn't seem like much, but when I only sell an item for $5, only about $3 or so of that is profit.... and 30 cents is ten percent of my profit!

    So, my frugal spirit went a-researching and found this excellent post from PatchworkPottery.  I followed her directions and adapted it a little to make my own labels.  Please read PatchworkPottery's post if you attempt this... it covers many of the nitty-gritty details that I don't mention here, just because this girl's already done such a great tutorial with the basic bones of this project.

    The first time, I followed her instructions exactly and printed these labels on grosgrain ribbon.  They sew in nicely by top stitching, as seen in the photo below.

    Then, I started thinking there must be a way to make the sew-in-the-seam labels that I loved so much from my expensive Etsy seller.  I bought 7/8" wide white satin ribbon and re-designed my word document to print this.

    Don't forget to "mirror image" in your printing preferences before you print.  You are printing on iron-on transfer paper, so you must reverse the image so your words will not be backwards on your finished product!  I was so mad at myself when I wasted a sheet of this pricey paper because I forgot to click that! 

    Anyways, then cut your paper in vertical strips, instead of horizontal as in the original tutorial.

    Then find the right side of your ribbon.  If you are using grosgrain ribbon, there is no right and wrong side.  But, if you are using satin ribbon, you will need to be sure you iron your labels to the right side.

    Put your paper with the printed side up, and then your ribbon, right side down.  I pinned mine together because I had such a small margin between the printed image and the width of my ribbon.  It worked really well- I just removed the pins as I ironed along the ribbon and my image was perfectly centered.

    After you peel away the paper backing, you may notice this filmy stuff on the side of your ribbon.  It reminds me of peeling skin when you're sunburned.  :)  Ouch.  This is easy to cut away with fine-tip scissors.  Just trim it up so it looks nice and professional.

    After my labels cooled, they started to curl.  At first I was so upset, thinking I failed in my new job as "label maker"!  But then I realized they curled much less when cut into individual labels, and I was going to stitch them flat anyways.  So I was no longer devastated about my new career.....

    Cut your label strip into individual labels, making sure to leave enough room to fold over.  Finger press the fold- I would not recommend ironing this as there is a vinyl-type covering on the satin ribbon.  Don't think it would be good for your iron or your label.

    Put your label into your seam.  Pin it well to keep it from slipping.

    One trick I have learned over time... Pin the printed side of your label against the right side of your fabric.  In this wristlet, the pink is my lining and the black print it the right side.  When you turn your project your printing will be facing out.  Believe me, I've made a lot of things and then saw I put the label on backwards.... BIG bummer.

    And that's it!  I love my new labels and think they look amazing.  And price wise?  My thoughts are they are about $0.05 cents per label... and that's much better than $0.30 each! 

    Can you tell the difference in the labels I bought from Expensive Etsy Seller and the ones I made?

    Please visit Gabriel’s Good Tidings blog for more inspiring ideas!

    Carrie

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews