Framing A Frame

    DIY-Double-Frame-plus-mat

    Once the nightstands were finished, the space between the stand and the accent wall border really bothered me!  I knew the lamp would help fill the space but it sooooo needed something else…..  that’s when I stumbled on this frame within a frame by Crafty Nest.  I wish I could say I was lucky and got mine frames from the thrift store like Ms. Crafty Nest but I purchased my frames new.

    two-in-one-frame

    Here are the two frames that I am going to use.   The large one measures 16x20 and the smaller one holds a 4x6.  I went back and forth whether to use a 8x10, 5x7, or a 4x6.  I decided on the smaller 4x6 because it would provide more white matting, which is something that this room really needed!

    Custom-frame-in-a-frame---backing

    1. Remove glass and the backing out of the larger frame.  Set the glass aside you won’t be using it  {save for another project!}
    2. Cut a piece of heavy foam board the same size as the large photo frame. 
    3. Find the center on the back board that came with the frame. 
    4. Center your smaller frame on the back board and trace around the outside edge of the fame.  DO NOT cut on this line!!!  The small frame would fall through and you won’t have anything to glue the small photo frame to.  
    5. Now before cutting an opening, look at the back of the smaller frame, find out how much space is from the edge to where you insert the photo.  This is how much you can cut away.  My frame had a nice inch border around the back.

    DIY-Double-Frame---Backing

    Only one problem with this!  I couldn’t get to the little tabs that open up the back of the small frame!  Quick fix by removing a bit more of the foam board on that side.   If you run into this same problem, remember the hole isn’t center anymore!

    DIY-Double-Frame---fabric-covering

    Now to cover the foam board.   

    I had some white linen material that I found in the remnant  bin at Hobby Lobby a few months back.  It going to be perfect for this project because it is heavy and has a bit of texture!  

    Cut a piece of  fabric a little larger than the foam board.   Okay you could cut your fabric the same size as the foam board but I hate stressin’ about lining up the edges perfectly, plus I wanted it to wrap the fabric around the back when I place it into the frame.  I’m hoping this will keep the fabric taut.   

    Spay the back of the fabric with spray adhesive and then carefully lay the fabric over the foam board.  Press and smooth down well.  Cut the center out with a big X and wrapped the edges to the back.

    DIY-Double-Frame---fabric-backing-covering

    Assemble the large frame by placing the fabric covered foam board in first, then insert the back board that came with the frame, and lastly press down the clips to secure in the frame.

    DIY-Double-Frame--mounting-small-frame

    Center the small frame on the front and glue. 

    DIY-Double-Frame---opening

    Lift the frame and double check that the opening is aligned and can be opened!

    DIY-Double-Frame---glueing

    Allow the glue to dry for several hours.

    Black-and-white-framed-bird

    I took this photograph through the master bedroom window while it was snowing a few weeks ago!  I thought it would be fun to change out the photos seasonally.

    linen-fabric-covered-mat-board

    Close up of the linen fabric.

    Craigs-list-nightstand

    See how it really fill the space between the nightstand and where the accent wall paint begins.  Love this!

    Carrie

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews