Fab Friend Friday- Mirror Mosaic {Deja Renew}

    Keeping with the theme of broken mirrors…. Debra from Deja Renew breathed new life into a lazy susan and broken mirror!

    So, here is how the story goes. I used to work at Knape & Vogt. They manufacture and sell pretty high end kitchen storage, pulls pan racks, pull out pantry racks, lazy susans, wine racks, drawer slides and all sorts of storage stuff. Most of this stuff gets bought by your kitchen cabinet makers like Merillat and such. Anyway, I was able to snag some scrap lazy susans. This one is a 36" round wood susan and it is about 1" thick wood. Very good quality. I wanted to make a pub table out of it. I bought the square 12x12 mirrors from Lowes or Menards I don't remember which. Lets just say I started this project 6 years ago. Got bored with it and let it sit. I bought more mirrors recently and finished her up. And by the way my mosaic grout was still good 6 years later as well as my glue.

    I didn't have a picture of the before of the susan since blogging was nothing but a gleam in my eyeball. So here is a picture of a lazy susan from a random site. The only difference with mine is it had a hole in the middle to run a pole through it.

    Well here is the back side of it so you get the idea.

    Here is where I left off with it 6 years ago. And she sat in the basement all this time.

    I used a thick material to break the mirrors in. Basically you can get what ever shape you need out of a box of these. I used 1 box of 10 mirrors six years ago and bought another and broke two mirrors and had enough.

    The mirror shards are sharp so be careful if you plan to do this project.

    Folded the blanket over and WHAM!

    Now, I got a bit gung ho' and I tell you I can't believe it. Well I can because I can be a space cadet at time. As you can see below I have paper and tape on it ready for painting. Yeah, you guessed I forgot to take any photo's of the grouting process. Woops :( .....Needless to say. Grouting is fairly easy and the directions on the bottle are accurate. If you wait much more than a 1/2 hour to wipe the grout away from the glass it will get hard. I made this mistake and let it sit for about two hours and went treasure hunting. Needless to say I had to scrape the grout off with a butter knife. I also put the grout on with a cake frosting spreader. I gather there is some better to use. I just used what I had here.

    Here she is. I used upholstery tacks around the rim of the susan I am pretty happy with it. Its not perfect but that is part of her charm :)

    I removed the black mirror because I had to take a picture with it on the wall. I just used the wall hanging hardware that you can get at the dollar store.

    There I am in the mirror taking the photo lol...HI EVERYONE!!!

    haha still trying to figure out if I want the mirror here and how to set up my table...AHHHHGGGG>

    I actually think I like this set up for now...we will see in a hour when I change my mind again.

    The mirror on the right might go to my bedroom...mmmmm I don't know.

     

    Don’t you just love the color on the frame?!?!

    I would love to make a mirror mosaic for my outdoor patio.   I have seen mirrors hung outside in many decorating magazines but I have always worried about keeping it clean…. the last thing I need to add to my daily chores is cleaning an outside mirror!  But I think this mosaic mirror would look great even if it wasn’t sparkling every time I looked at it! 

    Please drop over to say hi to Debra at Deja Renew.

    Carrie

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews